You are viewing the archived version of the site.
Go to armorama.com for the current dynamic site!
Go to armorama.com for the current dynamic site!
One ShotI would like to start by thanking Steve Keegan for giving me the opportunity to submit my One Shot dio to Armorama. There are a lot of talented individuals on this site and It's quite flattering to be selected to submit my work.
Inspiration and FigureMy One Shot dio was centered around the 1/16 scale resin Verlinden kit-#N0796. The inspiration for this dio came from the scene from Saving Private Ryan where the German sniper is hiding in the church tower. I had some minor fit problems with the figure's head and torso/lower body joint, but with a little putty and sanding, it went together just fine. I painted the entire figure with both Model Master and Polly Scale acryls. I used black chalk in thin layers for the beard. I added a strap the the rifle, drilled out the barrel, and drilled out the two ends of the scope. After opening the scope ends, I added a drop of Testors clear cement to replicate the lenses. This adds a nice touch to rifle scopes and other items like binoculars. I found that after painting the figure's pants, they looked too smooth. So I wrapped white first aid tape-a very thin "textured" tape-around his legs making sure to hide all of the seams in areas that would not be seen on the finished model. I then repainted the pants, which now took on a nice wool look.
The Bell TowerThe church's bell tower was completely scratch built using a varity of materials. I started by laying out the walls on posterboard, I drew in windows and shell holes and then cut everything out using a exacto knife. I covered both sides of the walls with a thin layer of plaster. Before the plaster dried, I used a scotch brite sponge to texture the exterior wall-this will help the detail pop out when it's dry brushed. Next I joined two sides to each other-this creates two halves each forming a 90 degree angle. By doing this, I can now design, test fit, and paint the interior. I added an access ladder made from bass wood to one of the interior walls. I also made the joists, floors, windows, and the entire roof structure from bass wood. All of the wood surfaces were colored with Minwax wood stain, followed by a dark wash. After installing the floors, I added piles of debris made from scraps of wood, shingles, and a mix of small stones and dirt that I keep on hand just for such incidents. The interior walls were painted with Polly's Dirty white, and given several thinned washes of Burnt Umber. I then painted and dry brushed the debris piles, and positioned the figure. Next I joined the two halves together using white glue. I added narrow strips of poster board to the corners-this helps with adding support to the tower as well as adding some demension to the overall look. As stated before, the roof structure was made from bass wood. I made the shingles by first gluing two pieces of construction paper together, then I laid out the lines with a straight edge, and proceeded to cut out each shingle. I attached the shingles to the roof with white glue, afterward I went back and drilled small "nail holes" in the shingles that had exposed top edges. I then added nails to the rafters and shingles using small wire I cut down to scale size. The exterior was base coated in a dark gray, and then drybrushed with a lighter shades of gray. The corners were coated with white glue, then covered with play sand. I decided to paint the corners a lighter shade to give the tower a little more color. The last step was to add the ivy, I added the ivy to the walls by first twisting two pieces of wire that is coated with a thread like material together. I cut the wire to size and secured it to the walls with ca glue. Next I covered the wire with thinned white glue and covered it with a mix of tea leaves and herbs. At last I was finished!!
last wordThis was a fun project. I tried out a lot of new techniques, and learned a few lessons-one important one was that I should have measured my display case before I made the tower because it's about an inch too tall to fit! Oh well. I will just have to talk the wife into a new display case.
Thanks again to Armorama for this great opportunity! If anyone out there has any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me.
All i can say about this one is WOW. Excellent job. I love the overall look. The figure is very well done. I love the technique you applied to the pants. Great idea. Gave them a very nice look. I can't wait to see what you come up with next... Mary (++)
APR 04, 2005 - 02:29 PM
excellent .i really felt watching Saving Private Ryan again . camo patterns look very very good. congrats Brian
APR 04, 2005 - 08:13 PM
Congrats Brian, This is a real masterpiece. The pants texturing tip seems very useful. Also I like the ivy, easy and fast to realize. Paint job is very very well done over all. Thanks for sharing..
APR 04, 2005 - 08:49 PM
Copyright ©2021 by Brian Paulsen. Images and/or videos also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. The views and opinions expressed herein are solely the views and opinions of the authors and/or contributors to this Web site and do not necessarily represent the views and/or opinions of Armorama, KitMaker Network, or Silver Star Enterrpises. All rights reserved. Originally published on: 2005-04-05 00:00:00. Unique Reads: 15960