Hosted by Darren Baker
Russian T72B
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC
I am working on a T72B and would like to add the swing out armor skirts. According to the pictures I have there are four per side. Does anyone know if there is an after market kit for these or is this a scratch-built item?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
Honestly, the only place I have seen the "gill" armour is on the T-64A from SKIF. Otherwise it looks like a scratchbuild. And I am not sure which models of the T-72 used the "gill" armor.
prbesch
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
Sandbox,
According to Osprey`s New Vangard #6 T-72 MBT, the prototype ,Obiekt 172, used many external, and internal, features of the production T-64. Although a prototype the Obiekt 172 was put into prodution.Then, in order to correct any flaws, the Obiekt 172M went into production later designated T-72.These three all used the same "gill armour" as theT-64.
The T-72A on used the metal reinforced plastic fabric skirts.
Pete
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:23 AM UTC
My reference is from Concord publications and they list the T72B with 'gills' as standard production unit for the T72B. They also indicated that the gills were only installed for training maneuvers. Of course information on these tanks was limited and is open to interpretation. I thought it was also interesting that most of the photos appeared very staged. No individual or extra equipment tied down on the outside of the tanks.
Jacques, thanks for the tip on the SKIF T64 with 'gills'.
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
If you just want to build the holds for the flip out "gill" armour plates, go with Eduardīs PE set for the Skif T- 64. The pnels are included in this set.
If you need additional pictures of T- 72s mail me. I can tell you so far, that Czech T- 72s are equipped with them (so donīt use a final prodution T- 72A turret) and I think I have some pictures of Soviet ones equipped with them.

Violetrock
 _GOTOTOP