Hosted by Darren Baker
Question about Initial Production Tiget I
xplan303ex
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 01:06 AM UTC
I just bought the Tamiya Initial Production Tiger I kit (Afrika Corps) and a photo etch detail set, Aber Tiger I Basic. My question is, the detail set says it's for the "early" not "initial" production kit, can I still use it on the kit I have?

Thanks in advance!

F
Abydos
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
Some of it you can, it depends on how early of a version you want to make for example the first ones used in Russia didn’t have much detail at all, just the basic clamps for the tools, etc. however the ones in Tunisia had the mesh screens on the engine decks and the some had the side skirting as well as the exhaust skirting. So it’s really varies depending on time frame.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 02:08 AM UTC
Thanks to Jentz & Doyle, we can list the details on a Tiger from any month of the production run. And they are all different.
So the real question is, what set of markings do you want to use?

David
xplan303ex
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 03:54 AM UTC
I want to use the markings that came with the kit. Both say Tunisia 1943. Now from what I read from this page http://www.alanhamby.com/changes.html the tank depicted in the model should have been produced between January and February 1943 since it has the S mine dischargers, guards on the exhaust mufflers but the feifel system is not the large single oval one. Am I getting this right?
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
S-mine dischargers would be on the hull corners, so actually you don't have them.
The kit represents a build from around November '42, and there are plenty of photos of these tanks. It's a good kit, quite accurate, but it lacks the ventilation mesh covers as you can see.
And there's one error, listed here.

David
xplan303ex
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:26 AM UTC
Thanks David. I guess I am confused between S-mine dischargers and smoke dischargers. Will take note of the error and correct it.
 _GOTOTOP