Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35th OIF ruin, should I build or buy?
UM83CANES
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 08:12 AM UTC
Fist, a little background, I’m currently working on Dragon’s M1A1 AIM and although I’ve NEVER built one before, I would like to place it in a small diorama in order to display it. Verlinden offers some nice OIF ruins, but I am considering building a small ruined structure myself. On one hand, making the structure from scratch seems like it would be more satisfying and on the other the $20 Verlinden is asking for essentially two walls with no interior seems a little steep.

So here are my basic questions:

If I don’t have any of the materials can I end up acquiring them for around $20 or am I better off just plunking down the money for Verlinden’s set? What “must haves” should I purchase other than foam-core board, white glue and spackle etc? (If that is basically it I feel fairly good about my budget).

Finally, and most importantly for a novice like me, how does one go about determining / calculating the dimensions of say a two story wall and the proper height / width of window openings etc in 1/35th scale? Is there a standard conversion formula or chart I can use?

More or less, I’m talking about assembling two “shelled-out” walls at a 45 degree angle to create the remnants of a two basic two story building. Am I correct in assuming this is a fairly basic and easy to accomplish project or am I better off going for the Verlinden kit?

Thanks in advance for your attention and input, who know maybe after a few decades I’ll be able to attempt some of the masterful work I’ve seen here

Noah

imagoodsniper
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:27 AM UTC
Well first off hi,

And to answer your first question I would say that if you feel confident that you can do it then make it your self, and that way you can get exactly what you want, and i think that the supplies you mentioned will do you fine for what you want to make.

Secondly try this website for scale convertions.

http://www.printmini.com/calc.shtml

so good luck, hope i helped some.
UM83CANES
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:40 PM UTC
Thanks so much for your responses! That scale calculator is great – just what I needed. This web sight is really terrific! It seems like someone always has a possible solution to a question.

Take care and thanks again,
Noah
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:47 PM UTC
build the building yourself. Take your time, research, ask questions and in the end you will be more appreciative of your accomplishment.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 03:10 AM UTC
$20 for a Verlinden OIF building ruin? That's pretty darn good.

If you are going to build a diorama and include a building ruin with your M1A1 then have a story. Combining a tank and a building just to have the two together does not a diorama make.

As far as the building think about what a destroyed building would look like....exposed rebar, strewn debris, personal items, window glass, clothing, furniture, tv, fridge, electrical power lines, all the stuff in the house when it is destroyed just doesn't disappear.

There is lots of rubble associated to a two story building...so make sure to include it.

Things to think about is what is the tank and tank crew doing? Just driving by the building? Are the scanning for enemy in the ruins? Are they traversing the turret around the building wall to shoot? Are they taking a halt during a move?

Do some internet searches to look at building in Iraq that have been damaged/destroyed and you will see what the exteriors look like.

Good luck.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Noah,
I must agree that $20 is quite the steal for Verlinden,but if you want to take the time you can do it for next to nothing.
Everyone has given you solid advice.
The only thing I may add is that for rubble I have found that "Kitty Litter" is the best thing to use.It's already a perfect grey,it absorbs a water and glue solution and a $3 bag can last you years.
For scale I use a 1/35 figure(standing striaght).
Picture what it would look like on your plan or building material and you can see if doors ,windows,stories,etc. are in the right perspective.
Good luck.
Tom
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 07:54 AM UTC
Noah,

I have used 1/4" thick styrofoam covered in spackle for walls. You could buy it in sheets- lay out a whole apartment building, cut out the doors and windows, add floors and damage - spackle and paint.

Look at the internet for pictures of Iraq. Most of the buildings are plain stucco, cinderblock retangles. Give it a try.
rotATOR
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 09:11 AM UTC
get a CTT Inc 1:35 Scale Ruler,#9035. They cost about three bucks and most toy train and hobby shops carry them. They are great to have if you scratch 1:35 scale buildings and such...
SAS007
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hi Noah
If you look around your house you will be surprised as just what you can use to scratch build walls etc.
Polystyrene from packing boxes , a piece of wood , cardboard boxes , plasterboard etc.
I have a box in the loft where I model and has loads of bits and pieces that I've picked up and thrown in so I've a building supply of materials which didn't cost a thing.
I hope this helps your dilemma

SAS007
 _GOTOTOP