_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Question about war
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC

I have a question and I want to make sure up front that my intentions are not to cause a problem.

No matter where one may live or what they may feel, it seems there will soon be a very big conflict.

To be honest, I see many people on this board as much more knowledgeable than me about military matters. In fact, I think they are much more qualified to speak on such matters than the people I see on the news channels.

My question is this; is there anyway that people interested would be able to ask questions that are military in nature, NOT political?

I know there were big problems with the Current Events forum. But, I for one have lots of questions about equipment, how troops are used, etc. I really can't think of another site where I might be able to get answers (without the rants that always seem to crop up elsewhere) than on Armorama.

Is there anyway to have maybe a 'hidden' folder or thread that addresses things about the conflict that are NOT political? Or something like an email digest that would exist 'seperate' from the main site?

If I have crossed any boundries by asking this, I am very sorry. That is not my intention. But, I feel this is a huge thing that is about to happen and I also feel that after a year on Armorama, some of my questions may best be answered here.

Again, I do not want to discuss politics or be a cheerleader, rather possibly ask about certain things that may occur.

Apologizies in advance. Please don't flame me as I am not taking a stand on any political issues with this post and in no way wish to offend those associated with Armorama.

Steve
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC
You could always "PM" someone with any questions. There are several members who are/were fairly senior US military members. For instance DJ judge (210CAV) is a retired colonel, John Chavat (CavGuy66) is a lieutenant colonel (you pin on yet?) and works(ed?) down towards the main 5-sided puzzle palace. I am a lowly major, Gino is/was a howitzer battery commander, Bryan (Tin Can) is a Naval lieutenant. We also have several NCOs in the Army, Navy, former Air Force, heck, we may even have a Marine or two kicking around.

Not that I am saying any of us are true experts, but we have some insight that civilians may not in matters of armed conflict.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You could always "PM" someone with any questions.

Not that I am saying any of us are true experts, but we have some insight that civilians may not in matters of armed conflict.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. But, I don't feel comfortable 'cold PM'ing' people I don't know well!

Again, my questions are about things like crossing rivers (which I didn't even think about till a few days ago) and who has what version of the Abrams.

I just feel so much of what I hear on TV is bogus or hyped up. But, I don't like asking questions about current events as it may cause problems.

It seems a bit distastefull right now, but some of us may eventually be building the armor and aircraft from this conflict. Just like we do with Desert Storm and even Enduring Freedom subjects.

Steve

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Again, my questions are about things like crossing rivers (which I didn't even think about till a few days ago) and who has what version of the Abrams.

Back in the day, no one could top the 8th Infantry Division's river crossing ability. IIRC, division level river crossing abilities are now limited to scissor bridges. Bridging units are normally corps level assets. There are several different ones and they are well trained.

As far as Abrams tanks, the 4th Infantry Division and 1st Cavalry Division both have M1A2 and M1A2SEP, the 1st Cav also has M1A1D. The 3rd Infantry Division apparently drew pre-positioned equipment so I am making an educated guess (I have drawn on this equipment in the past) that the bulk of those tanks are early M1A1s and M1A1 Heavy Commons (also referred to as "Heavy Armor" or HA, "Common" is used to show that they are the standardized type used by Army and Marines). The Marines have M1A1 Heavy Commons as well, but there are some external differences (smoke launchers for one). 1st Armor Division most likely has M1A1 Heavy Commons as well. They all have the same gun and killing capability and nothing the Iraqis can muster would be able to fully destroy even the older M1A1s without the extra depleted uranium armor.
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
Steve,
Relative to crossing rivers here are three pics of my very last river crossing. I suppose the pics will date me but you do get an idea of how a good sized river can be crossed by armor. Hope these help.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 03:52 PM UTC
Steve,
I don't think you need to worry about asking questions that are not political in nature. Of course I would prefer that questions that don't have some root in modeling stay in the off-topic areas (like the junk drawer). But asking about equipment and such is not a problem.

If a user does start a non-political topic and other users try to turn it into some kind of political rant, those posts will be removed.

Cheers,
Jim
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 01:32 PM UTC
I have some photos of River crossing when I was In korea look at my pics album. I might have more so if you want Pm me and I will see what I can do for YA!!!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 01:29 AM UTC
I don't see where asking questions like "Which units have the Wolverine bridgelayer?" or "What countries have the M1A2SEP?" would be considered political. Sometimes someone will spout off about who SHOULD have this equipment, but that can be taken care of quite readily. I wouldn't be to timid about it. If you touch on an area that Jim feels shouldn't be, he will tell you in a kind and friendly way. He has done this to me, and I never felt like he was talking down to me. He explained his reasoning and and presented it logically. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, Steve, we are all friends here.

Rob
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the photos and thanks to those who PM'd me.

I'm sure I will have some questions...

Steve
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,
Relative to crossing rivers here are three pics of my very last river crossing. I suppose the pics will date me but you do get an idea of how a good sized river can be crossed by armor. Hope these help.

I wouldn't worry to much. I remember when my unit (TOW on the M113A1 while standing in the cargo hatch) provided overwatch for some DAT doing a river crossing which where using M60A1 and M60A2.
 _GOTOTOP