_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Before Building
Ideas, concepts, and researching your next diorama.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Galatas Counter attack dio plan
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
I will give you a little bit of background to what I am trying to achieve here.
In May 1941 German paratroopers invaded Crete attacking a vastly inferior opposition, Fighting went on for 4 or so days. In an effort to hold the Germans off the New Zealanders launched a counter attack on the Village of Galatas. This action involved C Company of 23 Battalion and others who wanted to "have a go at the Germans" They attacked at dusk with a Bayonet charge of the strongest intesity they forced the Germans to abandon Galatas but had to withdraw themselves the next day due to lack of reinforcements. The counter attack is one of the Legends that stands up with battles like Gallipoli in New Zealand History. The Kiwis fought with such ferocity and determination that the Germans thought it was a full on attack.
Now this battle holds my interest for another reason......My Great Great Uncle was part of the C company and was at the forefront of the Counter attack and is mentioned in Sandy Thomas book "Dare to be free" (His name is Len Diamond) I would like to dedicate this to him as he was killed in North Africa 18 months later. You can read a detailed account HERE
I have also included two reference pics for comparision.

The dio plan is in its infancy stage not much detail just basic layout.

Reference photos

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could give me any tips or ideas you may have for the dio, If you think the plans I have wo't work please say so, I won't be offended.

Sorry for the long read, and thanks for the help
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 03:31 AM UTC
Go for it.

Why not. This hobby isn't always to get approval and you have a passion for this particular event. It's dioramas that have originality that peaks the interest of our forums.

The only tips I have is to not make three NZ soldiers charging three Germans. Mix it up a bit, maybe have them battling at the back of a house, or in a house. Maybe have them climbing over a wall surpising the Germans, or storming into a back yard. Think of how it would have been that night or day if the fighting was that close. Believe me, no one wanted to mix it up hand to hand if they had rounds in the chamber. But if that was a common occurence that night imagine how it would have happened.

Do not be afraid to modify your figures to make the scene how you want it. I am finishing up my second diorama and I truly wished that I modified every one of them except the four that I did.

I hope this helps.
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 03:39 AM UTC
I just read the account and this could be a real good diorama. It is apparent that the NZ soldiers caught the Germans off guard and they were scrambling to get away from the NZ bayonets.

Confusion and panic among the Germans and pumped up NZ soldiers so now you have your story line of the dio.

Now you have to keep us posted!
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:13 AM UTC
S.B, Thank you for your thoughful reply, I will take your ides into consideration, The reason I posted the ideas was because once you have been looking at something for too long you need a fresh pair (or (10,000) to come at it from another angle.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 08:48 AM UTC
I look forward to seeing this one Andy! My grandad was Royal Marines and was captured at Sfakia after taking part in the rear guard action so I've always been interested in the Battle For Crete. Why not suggest a campaign for the Middle East etc.I know there was a Med campaign on one of the other forums but the scope there is amazing! I'd definitely be up for it.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 03:56 PM UTC
Hi Karl,
Thanks for the support, The Royal marines from what I have read put on a pretty good show at holding the germans back.
I have started on the figures for this one. They are from Airfix's 1/32nd 8th Army and British Infantry kits.
This figure is OOB nothing changed on him so far.

This guys body is from the oth army kit and and legs from the British infantry set, I have twisted his torso round to give the effect of him shooting his tommy gun.

The last guy has had his long sleeves sanded down and I have put some rolled up sleeves on using putty.

Heres a couple more of them in the positions for the dio

All comments Welcome.
 _GOTOTOP