_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Questions on BTR-80 variants
poibruddah
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 05:19 AM UTC
Aloha everyone!

Was wondering if anyone had a comprehensive list of all the export nations that fielded the BTR-80 and its variants. Primarily those nations in the "West" that are using them as an integrated part of their armed services and not just on a "trial" basis.
Secondly does anyone know what the most recent variant is. Is it still the BTR-80A? And Jacques if you are on this forum do you know if the SP designs conversion for the BTR-80AM1999 is the latest variant?
Sorry if this is a confusing question.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Kurt
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hiya Kurt,

No list of nations, but the general number I keep running across is 22 nations.

I believe the BTR-80A (as in the Zvezda kit) is the newest IN SERVICE variation of the venerable "battle bus". While there are many upgrades that have been made available, I do not know of any that are in use by the Russian Army.

The absolute newest version of the BTR-80 in any form, although I am using that loosely here, is the BTR-3U from the Ukraine as sold to the Union of Myanmar, the Ukrainians themselves, and to Abu Dubai. It is a powerfull and neat variation, although it is supposedly a new build rather than a rebuild of a older BTR-80.
 _GOTOTOP