_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Operation Iraqi Freedom '03-'07 campaign
rphillips78
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hi this dio is a follow up from Ranger Patrol which was my first dio. I thought i would have a bash at a campaign. It is obviously not finnished and figure placement is not final,so i would like any comments please

thanks
rob

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:55 PM UTC
Looks good to me.

So are you going to have them that close together?

To close one bang and 6 gone

rphillips78
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC
not sure on figure placement just yet!
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:43 AM UTC
So far, so good, except for one (to me) glaring error. All these guys where the old PASGT vest, which was used for Desert Storm but not for OIF except for some VERY rear echelon troops. The vest used for OIF right up to now is the Interceptor armor that comes on the DML Modern US Marines figs. It's of a VERY different style.

Also, and it may be a product of your lighting, but the colors on your 3 tone camo seem a bit off. That's a tough one to get right though, and even in real life that greenish color takes on different characteristics in different lighting. Can't really fault you there. Might just be my eyes.

Rob
rphillips78
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 05:20 AM UTC
i have repainted these figures quite a few times to get the tri colour right. what colours do other people use,

cheers rob
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 09:18 AM UTC
On the closeness, to me that doesn't seem to be a problem. I can't even recall how many pictures or videos that I have seen showing troops bunched up like that. Though I am not sure the guy immediately behind the left rear bumper with the vest open, that probably won't fly. It would help if they had IBA vests (Dragon's US Marines is excellent and I highly recommend it as others have here), but since PAGST was still out there, especially early on, lets just say that they are National Guard troops .

For BDU colors I use is Tamiya buff, Tamiya NATO green, Tamiya NATO Brown , and ModelMaster flat black. I recommend getting a thinner tip brush and buying a real BDU blouse as a reference and just mimic it. The cloth pattern is the same on all BDUs, but its position just may be different (ie one distinct squigly is always next to another distinct squigly, it just may be on the arm of one jacket and on the back of another., if that makes sense). Right now, especially the black parts look too thick. Also for the DCU, I generally add a little white or sand color to the dark brown to fade is out a bit, just a future tip.

Your concept looks good and has a lot going for it. I would definitely like to see the finished product. Keep it going.

Jeff
PMP
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 11:05 AM UTC
keep up the good work im working on similar figs too!

ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi PMP

Looks like it's coming along nicely, keep up the good work.

Ryally.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All these guys where the old PASGT vest, which was used for Desert Storm but not for OIF except for some VERY rear echelon troops.

Quoted Text

but since PAGST was still out there, especially early on, lets just say that they are National Guard troops

I arrived in Baghdad on 10 May 2003. I was 1/37 Armor, 1st Armored Div. An active duty unit..not National Guard. Nearly everybody in the Battalion deployed with the old "big jake" flak jacket. There were very few IBA's in the Battalion. If I remember correctly my unit was not totally outfitted with IBA until around Sep 03. My unit operated in the very heart of Baghad so if your Dio is of a very early, VERY FAR from the rear OIF unit you will be fine using the figs as they are. However, the dude with the open flak most definately wiould not fly for the type of action Dio you are making. Most Soldiers would never un--do their body armor on patrol/guard/fire-fight/ or any other time outside the wire. And if they did...a very angry NCO would put that Soldier back on the path to rightousness in a big hurry!
rphillips78
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 09:05 AM UTC
thanks for the info i will have to drop him i think
Removed by original poster on 12/10/08 - 21:54:12 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP