Desperate Defense-Jamesite's latest diorama
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Thought it about time I shared this with you as I finished this a month ago but have been so wrapped up in my german capturen bren gun carrier that I didnt get around to photographing it.

The house is a plaster offering from Mini-art (I think?) which I had to carve details to the inside. The Pak 40 and servants are a DML kit and the other figures are the DML Gen 2 Desperate Defence set.
Various other bits and bobs were sourced from the spares bin.
The idea was to show a motley crew of veterans holding out against a Russian onslaught in the closing stages of the war.

Hope you like what you see, all comments and constructive feedback are of course more than welcome!

Cheers,

James

JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 510 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:11 PM UTC
looks good. im glad that you did not go over the top. some diorama makers throw on pounds of bitz just for bitz sake and it ends up looking too cluttered. it is very nice; congrats on a well done piece.
tracklink2
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC
I really like the scene its nice and full but its not cluttered as jeep said.
My only question is how did the German on the upper floor get there?
maybe if you added a small ladder somewhere. but otherwise its a great diorama.

hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:54 PM UTC
Great dio. I agree, the guy on the second floor needs a way to get up and down. And those poles on the sides of the trailing legs of the Pak 40 were, I believe, cleaning rods, not aiming stakes, and so should either be wood or aluminum, not red and white.

Rob
rphillips78
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
WOW very nice dio, i like the detail well done to you sir!!!!!!!!!
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 01:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, glad you like it!
I did have a battle to prevent myself from cluttering the small base and i'm glad you think I pulled it off ok!
I know it looks like the sniper must have teleported himself up to the upper story and I considered this when building the scene. I'm preaching artistic license as I couldn't fit a ladder into the scene!
Painting the cleaning rod's up as ranging poles was a controversial decision, and was discussed when I posted pics of the gun after its completion. It was based on a reference pic I saw but cannot remember where, and someone else who also saw the same pic was discussing their uses in a thread here recently. If nothing else it adds some colour to the scene!

Thanks again for all the comments, keep em coming in!

Cheers,

James
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 06:54 PM UTC
Very good job on the dio James,
A lot of action in a thight place. I really like it.

Did you ad the second floor? That would be roughly 50 cm of concrete under the floor boards ! It's a bit on the upper reasonable size for a normal house.

Cheers
Claude

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 07:55 PM UTC
Great diorama. I really like the scene and it tells a very effective story.

Thanks for sharing
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you ad the second floor? That would be roughly 50 cm of concrete under the floor boards ! It's a bit on the upper reasonable size for a normal house.

lol! No it was part of the kit, I did think about thinning it down but the plaster in the kit was quite delicate (several parts were broken when I bought it), I just added the floor boards from coffee stirring sticks to try and cover up the fact!

Thanks for the comments, glad you think i've managed to capture the scene effectively. I've been building it on and off for years so i'm so glad to finally have it finished!

Cheers,

James
bazooka
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:03 AM UTC
hi james
that `s a nice lookin`dio you got there
a lot of action i really like it
cheers
bazooka
JackBlock
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 04:32 AM UTC
Very well done dio! I get a sense of desperation on the Germans part as it appears that they are being "hedged in". The fellow facing the direction of the PAK about to toss the grenade. The "teleporting" sniper covering in the same direction. The MG crew covering their flank, which is probably about to fold. Well done!
Cheers
Dave
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 09:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Bastian and Dave,
Dave, you really got the feel of what I was trying to portray, makes me so happy that you can pick it up so well from the dio, i'm obviously doing something right!

Cheers,

James
bsoder
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 03:49 PM UTC
very well done!..the way you have the scene set up really conveys your theme..and yea artistic license is a modelers must!
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

very well done!..the way you have the scene set up really conveys your theme..and yea artistic license is a modelers must!

Glad you agree!
Thanks for your kind words,

James
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 07:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it looks like the sniper must have teleported himself up to the upper story and I considered this when building the scene. I'm preaching artistic license as I couldn't fit a ladder into the scene!

James - that was my first immediate thought too, but then just as quickly I concluded that you'd simply done a cut-away of the upper floor so as not to overshadow and block out what's going on below.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you - no different to having (just for example) half a bridge ending in mid-air with a tank driving across it heading into "nothingness", or a figure leaning against half a gate that similarly ends.

After all, what is ANY dio or vignette, if not a cutaway section from an imaginary greater whole?

Personally I like the upstairs guy - he gives the dio an added bit of extra dimension.

- Steve
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

James - that was my first immediate thought too, but then just as quickly I concluded that you'd simply done a cut-away of the upper floor so as not to overshadow and block out what's going on below.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you - no different to having (just for example) half a bridge ending in mid-air with a tank driving across it heading into "nothingness", or a figure leaning against half a gate that similarly ends.

After all, what is ANY dio or vignette, if not a cutaway section from an imaginary greater whole?

Personally I like the upstairs guy - he gives the dio an added bit of extra dimension.

- Steve

Thanks Steve,
You're bang on target with the cut-away idea (If only i'd have thought of that!). You make an excellent point that any diorama is in itself a cut-away section, and personally I think that as long as it 'feels' right then little inacurracies like this are not important.

Thanks again,

James
 _GOTOTOP