_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centurion Tank After Market Parts
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
I did a fellow modeler a favor and traded one of my Tamiya M60A2s for a Tamiya Centurion Mk III (kit #89555). It appears to be the same kit as my old motorized Centurion Mk III #MT230.

Any way, I have been looking for aftermarket accessories for the kit, but all the sets seem to be geared towards an Academy Centurion. I was fortunate enough to be the only bidder for an Eduard PE set #35303 for the Academy Centurion Mk 3 for $10 (a $20+ set) and found a Barrel Depot 20 pounder tube for the kit as well. Does anyone know if the Academy kit is a copy of the Tamiya kit? I don't even recall Academy making a Centurion. If it isn't a Tamiya copy, will the PE set for the Academy work with the Tamiya kit?
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 06:18 PM UTC
I am probably going to make a complete fool of myself but surely if the parts are for a 1/35 Centurion it won't matter much as to which kit you have.
Personally I am scratchbuilding and/or modifying stock kit parts and working to the reference pics I have found on the net. Apart from filling the motorization holes all the work I have done can be classified as either
(a) Modifying kit parts to be more accurate. ie converting the No38 radio mast mount from plastic blob to basket shape.
(b) Adding detail such as new smoke generator mounts from strip cut from an aluminium beer can, and making a glacis stowage box from styrene sheet.
So far I have added/modified 40 bits on the turret alone.
I used the kit barrel reinforced with a length of brass tube super glued inside
If you want any web addresses for details I can provide.

Good to know you are building British.

Regards Dave

Silence when you speak to an officer.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:45 PM UTC
I have a Centurion on the way and want to build a Aussie Vietnam version... have you got any pointers for me? As I do not have the kit to mess with i have little to go on... Are there any good walkarounds on the web? What makes a Centurion in Vietnam different from others?? I plan on combining this with an M113 and a couple of Aussie Vietnam figures into a Vietnam diorama...

I just finished reading When the Scorpion Stings, about the Aussie 2nd Armored Cav in Vietnam and came away absolutely humbled by the way those guys fought over there. AFter reading what I have of the Armored Cav in Vietnam (I have also read Ringed in Steel) I have plans for several dioramas, etc. of these units.

ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
KitMaker: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 08:02 PM UTC
AFAIK the Academy Or modelcraft are an exact copy of the Tamiya Centurion.
As For A/M stuff you have
1.Fruil Tracks
2. Eduard Set
3. Edaurd Bazuka Shildes set
4. CMD Makes a Nice L7 Barell
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 08:10 PM UTC
One thing you could do is taking a look at a website called Sentinel. It has a lot of stuff about aussie armour : reference pics, kits, conversion sets and several reference books (there is a recent one about Centurions in Vietnam). Accurate Armour has also some conversion parts for the aussie Centurion like the rear armoured fuel tank...
Here is the link :
www.webone.com.au/~myszka/
HTH
Frenchy
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:46 AM UTC
Fruil tracks huh? I've been meaning to try out a set and I definitely don't want to use the kit ones. They seem rather undetailed. I'd like to do a Cold War era Centurion (as opposed to a Vietnam War one). I've been searching for photos of Centurions in use with the BAOR and the Berlin Brigade.

With regards to the tracks, was it one type of track for all Centurions (less Israeli) or were different types used on various marks?
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
KitMaker: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 02:40 AM UTC
I think there were two types:
the steel tracks and Hush Puppy rubber tracks.
i dont know when the later were used, in most pics you'll see the steel ones.
AEF has a set - KI-119 Hush Puppy
AA mkaes both from Resin
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=50704&CFTOKEN=95402786&manufacturer=0&category=12&product=521

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=50704&CFTOKEN=95402786&manufacturer=0&category=12&product=522

Eran
r19f
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:32 AM UTC
hi sabot
the mk111 centurion is a tamya,academy,toyway,modelcraft kit (take your pick ) so your pe will fit as for the gun barrel after 1952-3 it was upgraded to a 105mm with no thermal sleve also to point out the kit is out by 2-3 mm and the engine deck is wrong so is the turret to mention but a few things as for the paint schemes U.K. Home gloss bronze green , B.O.A.R. mat olive drab with matt black strip paches, desart Light sand yellow with light olive drab strip patches there are photos of the centurion in sand / black, sand / green. it will depend on the time period and the theatre.as for berlin matt light olive / black unless brand new to unit then gloss green but the markings will be of the R.A.C untill rubbed down and then marked up for the new unit i hope this is of use to you

eddie
 _GOTOTOP