_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter's Hotchkiss tank-how good?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 05:43 AM UTC
I found Bronco's supposedly wonderful H39 tank to be frankly disappointing-it fit together terribly. How good is Trumpeter's?
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:05 AM UTC
i think its the same molds as is the fine molds version.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:52 AM UTC
I had a heck of a time with fit on the Trumpeter...I have to say I was pretty disappointed in it.

Mike

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i think its the same molds as is the fine molds version.

The Bronco and Trumpeter kits are entirely different molds. Trumpeter rushed their products into production to try to strangle Bronco in the cradle by duplicating Bronco's entire product line before they could get started. That's why Bronco started issuing surprise kits like the Comet.
As for the Trumpeter H-39, it can only be built as a German or ex-German vehicle, as it lacks the French cupola. Fit is generally okay. Spring detail on the bogies is uninspiring, and a couple of pieces of styrene need to be added to the inner half of the bogie housing so the spring has something to attach to. The circular side vision ports for the driver aren't even nearly circular, so they will need to be sanded off and rescribed with a piece of sharpened brass tubing. The H-38 kit does include the French cupola, but it lacks all detail. Despite the boxtop label, it cannot be built as an H-35. Tracks are vinyl, and are not bad for the medium, better at least than the Heller tracks. Hobby Boss has an inexpensive styrene link replacement set.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 03:09 PM UTC
I found the fit of the hull terrible. The kit went together in around 3 hours, but I've spent more on sanding, filling, and sanding again over and over...
Once the hull is done, the kit's OK.

_GOTOTOP