_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How do I make an accurate Nag Man I
ginge82
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
I have put my Puma on hold for the moment (doghouse problems)
and have bought the IDF M113 Zelda and Blast models upgrade Doghouse.

Are there any areas that need modifying on the zelda that are not found on a Nag Man or any areas I need to add?

Steven
iowacentral
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 06:16 AM UTC
As far as I know, they just plopped the doghouse armour on top of the deck. Best thing to do is to look on some web sites such as israeli-weapons.com or idf-modelers web site. Also, Tankograd publishes a great book that covers the later IDF vehicles.
Scott
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:27 AM UTC
Steven, you will also need the add on armour set. You could use the set that comes with the Zelda kit, but it is very inaccurate. I recommend the Eduard PE set for the add on armour. If you want to go the whole hog i also suggest the FruilModel tracks. these are a 100% better than the rubber band ones you get in the kit, they also include new drive sprockets.

Regards from the Swamp

Eth
MusicOn
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:57 AM UTC
I'll second the Eduard TOGA armor.

I'm building a Zelda (not NAG MAN, just OOB, with the Eduard armor) and ran across something that I'm scratching my head about that you may be wondering too:

I'd like to display the engine compartment open, but I think some scratching needs to be done since the Eduard kit is just the armor sections (no "door hardware"). Here's an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://idfmodelling.free.fr/view.php?name=kit_veh_pictures/zelda04e
http://idfmodelling.free.fr/view.php?name=kit_veh_pictures/zelda04i

The plates, hinges, and bolt lock look to be scratchbuilt, since they don't come in the Eduard set. Any ideas? (Sorry if this is threadjack, I though it might be germaine to your build too!)
ginge82
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:33 PM UTC
I will have to find the Eduard armor but the fruil tracks are probably going to be out of my budget for my build. I will price them up though. I wouldn't mind displaying the engine doors open myself so thanks for the link.

I'm no expert but the lines suggest they've been cut by hand so it possibly is scratched. A possible side project perhaps?

Thanks for your help chaps:0)
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi Steven,
I researched,detailed the interior and exterior of 4 IDF M113s some time back for a collector..they are as accurate as possible so I hope my links and build up with assist you.

I've build both the "Nagmans 1 and 2" from blast-models.
Names are incorrect though:
Nagman 1 is " Kasman Meshupar."
Nagman 2 is " Moaz."

You need to get Eduard's ZOOM sets (around $5?)--these are engine grills/mesh that are on installed ALL IDF M113s.
Using photoetch Toga armor is closer to the real thing as compared to the original plastic one which I used.( The collector didn't want to pay for the photoetch..too bad) I had to glue on a thin sheet of brass as a backing for the license plates on the Toga armor--- a compromise I had to make if not the numbers will not show enough since the plastic Toga's holes are too big. On the real vehicals the numbers seem to be sprayed/stenciled on.
The license numbers were individually cut out from the plastic kit's decals.

Click on my thread "Kasman, Machbet, Moaz & Kasman Meshupar Completed"
http://idf-armour-group.org/groupforum/index.php?showtopic=1323
Scroll down for information on the Details Added...and more photos of other IDF M113s.

Direct link to Kasman Meshupar:
http://www.angrydogproductions.com/Kasman%20Meshupar%20Build.jpg
http://www.angrydogproductions.com/Kasman%20Meshupar%20Details.jpg

Cheers,
Nick
ginge82
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:27 PM UTC
thankyou very, very much for the info Nick:0) Looking forward to this build now. It just looks so tiny compared to the MBT's I'm building to. I'm really liking IDF kits at the moment.

Is this the armour to get?

M113 Zelda armour shields Israeli Defence Force/IDF (designed to be used with the Academy kits):

Free Image Hosting at <a href=www.ImageShack.us" />
iowacentral
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 02:28 AM UTC
Your learning one of the great things about IDF subjects. You can start with one kit and build it many different ways to get vehicles that look way different. Just wait until you get into the Magach series of tanks.

Scott
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 04:55 AM UTC
Steven, I haven't build the photoetch Toga--but that photo looks like it--Where'd you buying from?

IDF armor is really interesting...you're totally right Scott...Magachs variants and subtle differences just goes on and on..I'm building quite a few of them.

Cheers
ginge82
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:50 AM UTC
I've found some at hannants. Pretty reasonable, about nine pounds.

Which would be the best Tamiya green to use? Looking at reference pics the Nagman's ( Kasman Meshupar's) seem almost grey in colour.
iowacentral
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 01:21 PM UTC
Now you have wandered into the minefield of what color to paint an IDF vehicle. There have been books written on what the exact color is. You need to get on some IDF sites, such as israeli-weapons.com or the
sentinal website. I don't think there is a Tamiya color that is going to be an exact match. Your going to have to find a paint chip and mix to match the color. Or you could get Life-color's Israeli Sand-grey, or humbrol's Matt Mid-stone (84). All-in-all the eact match is up to a person's individual eye. Good luck.
Scott
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 01:28 PM UTC
Hi Steven,

Totally agree with Scott..

Can't help you with Tamiya paints-I never use them. IDF colors are not green--they appear that way. This is info from Michael Mass a career soldier over at the IDF forums. He's the guy who helps legend productions with their kits.

The colors are grey-brown,however I personnally depict them with a green-brown tone-since that is how they look in photos. I use (also suggested by Michael) Humbrol 72 Khaki Drill-but I add a bit of black and olive drab and I pretty much get the "correct" color as in photos..and under different lighting conditions this custom mix color appears different just like the real vehicles..

Or use humbrol 84--this represents the "later"(present) era of AVFs..colors are darker. But I like 72-but mixed with black,etc..and even 84.

Not looking forward to mixing paint for the lot of IDF AFVs I'm building...I found the best out of bottle alternative--bought a bunch of what I think is the best representation of color-- Lifecolor UA 035 ( FS36134) acrylic paint, ordered from cammett... This color does the same thing--looks brown or grey-green under different lighting conditions!

Hope this helps..
PS--If you like more info-write me at my biz email..I'm hardly visiting the forum..too busy with my overdue model-work.

Best
Nick
ginge82
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 05:43 PM UTC
hey guys,

I've encountered a big problem with my kit! I couldn't afford the friul tracks so I had to use the kit tracks that come with the Academy kit.

I went to fit them earlier and they are way too short ( about two or three links). Have any of you encountered this before? How can I resolve this? Any ideas?
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 08:26 AM UTC

Is this the armour to get?

M113 Zelda armour shields Israeli Defence Force/IDF (designed to be used with the Academy kits):

Free Image Hosting at <a href=www.ImageShack.us" />[/quote] put bold text here

I started on the same kit as you - I did opt for the indy AFY M113 tracks - they're cheap (@ 11 USD) and come with new sprokets. The eduard Zelda Toga armor is nice - but you might have to do some soldering to get everything to sit right - I tried the CA route and they kept popping off!

I also decided not to go with the Smoke candles - short cut!
AEF Designs also makes a fairly nice Toga p/e set - but you know the deal by now......

Chris
 _GOTOTOP