_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
modeling current conflict
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:58 PM UTC
Saw an interesting symbol sprayed on a US vehicle participating in the current unpleasantness. Remember the old Afrika Corp symbol. I saw one of those with a substitution of the third Infantry Division symbol for the Swastica
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:14 PM UTC
I saw the same thing, thought the same thing too I couldn't make out what was in place of the swastika though. Thanks for the info and God speed to our troops.
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hey if you have a pic send it in. OK
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:03 PM UTC
Last night, Ted Koppel was also pointing out these louvered thingies (that looked to be about 3 feet square) on the back and sides of every vehicle and said they were thermal identification devices to prevent friendly fire accidents and that there's some sort of tape atop the vehicles taht was identifiable from at least 13, 000 feet.
Still a lot of M-113's and M-577's going through the berms, as well as M2-3's, M-1's HMMT tanker trucks, armored bulldozers heading out. There was a scissors bridge vehicle in the background, but I couldn't tell the chassis it was on. Every one was heavily laden with external stowage.
Here's to a swift and safe as possible end to this and a peaceful aftermath.
mp_guy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:15 PM UTC
Those panels are indeed thermal identification devices... we have them on our up armored Hummers... and that AVLB is based on the old M-60 series chassis...
Vihuri
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2003 - 07:05 PM UTC
I am planning a Gulf War diorama based around elements of 3rd Sqn, 7th Cav. I need some info on unit markings applied to the Sqn's M1A2s and M3s. Also what logistics units are attached to the regiment, what vehicles do they use ( M923, M977 or both) and what markings do they apply to their vehicles.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 03:55 AM UTC
Any logistical vehicles intermixed with the 3-7 CAV (it doesn't operate as part of a regiment) would be organic to the squadron. The M113 ambulances, M88s, M923, M977, M978, etc. would have the following bumper markings:

3I 3-7CAV * HHT-123 with the "I" being the letter "India" (for Infantry) and replacing the "123" with whatever actual bumper number. The asterisk represents the US star. HHT represents Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, staff vehicles would use "HQ" instead of "HHT".

Any non-organic vehicles would most likely be limited to the maintenace supprt team (MST) vehicles from the division's main support battalion (MSB). They would include a missile hut (M998 with S250 shelter on it), M113 contact vehicle, and other direct support maintenace vehicles (like a deuce, or a HEMTT) colocated with the Sqdn's organic UMCP.
Vihuri
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 39 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 02:19 PM UTC
Thanks for that - information will really helpful. I can assume then that markings applied to the M1A2/M3s follow a similar pattern. Also I believe that the chevrons applied to the side of the vehicles designate which troop the vehicle belongs to - is this correct?

Does anyone know if there are any conversion sets available for the M1064 Mortar Carrier - would it be possible to convert the old Tamiya M106A1 kit?
 _GOTOTOP