_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Q. about tiedowns
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hey hey hey #:-)

i need ye help again, what is a quick and simple way to produce a lot of 1/35 scale tiedowns to put on WW2 AVF's??
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
I would make a jig out of some hard wood. Make it thin and on one edge carve/cut out the shape of the tie down. Then take a pair of pliers to 'push' hobby wire into the jig to bend it to shape then you snip off the exces.
Here's another idea. Take a hinge from a door, assuming that the thickness of the plate is how big your tie down will be. Then you close the hinge on a section of hobby wire and tighly bend the wire over the top and snip. Then repeat.

There are probably better ways to do it - these just poped in so here you go.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 07:42 AM UTC
That's agood one, Scott, I'll have to try thst one.

Rob
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:19 AM UTC
One of two things... I either flatten out stretched sprue or heat and bend some Evergreen strip styrene, being careful to keep it within scale... 1/35 means some REALLY tiny strips...
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
if you have a punch and die set, I like to use .010 round strip with I think .018 punch with .10 styrne to make mine. Heres a photo:

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
I made a jig with peices of scrap plastic. The "base" is a couple inches long and about 1/2 inch wide. On that I glued a piece of Evergreen strip on each side, probably about 1/16th inch wide (match a strip to the width of the gap in the tie-down). Then I wrap the jig with hair-fine copper speaker wire, press it down to form around the strip, then trim them off with a Exacto #11 blade. I apply a spot of CA glue to where I want the ends to be on the model and apply.

Simple!

Look at the fenders on my T26E3 in the gallery to see what they look like on an unpainted model.
Donatelo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 05:34 PM UTC
I like lead sheet and cut into strips. The I add bolts to the areas that would attach to the frame of the vehicle.I make these using a "beading tool" used in the Jewelry industry that can form nice even round slightly rounded shape. This also works well for Rifle straps.

Don Porter
 _GOTOTOP