_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
SdKfz 234/2 Puma, Ardennes Camouflage
HenschelTurret
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:26 PM UTC
I'm about to add a 234/2 Puma to a KampfGruppe Peiper diorama. (Ardennes 1944)
KG Peiper left some of these behind in the La Gleize area. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the camouflage, any markings, and numbering (if any) on this ?
anti-hero
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 307 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 04:09 AM UTC
Sorry C Wright, I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have a link that talks about Pumas in the Ardennes. I'll dig that up when I'm done here.

I want to piggy back off of your question.
Can someone tell me what camo was put on Pumas of the 2nd Panzer div. during the Normandy battles?

Thanks.

This link still doesn't answer your question but maybe you will still find it interesting.

[url]http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=580771[url]
HenschelTurret
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the site reference. As for Pumas in Normandie, do a search in the site www.feldgrau.net and you will find what you are looking for. Once in the site, go into 'online forums' THEN do a search for say '234/2' and you could add words you want to narrow the search.
Worth checking out would be the 'Topical Research' section and of course then 'Weapons and equipment'.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:56 AM UTC
Just a question... why would camouflage in the Ardennes, par winter white wash, be any different from camouflage from say.... Normandy, or spring 1945?

The basic principle is easy: 3 tone camo consisting of Oliv Grun, Dunkel Gelb and Rot Braun.

No matter HOW this was applied, the end result would be the same. The only difference in appearance would be the switch from soft edge field applied to hard edge factory applied in August '44.
HenschelTurret
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 09:59 PM UTC
I don't think the camouflage is too easy for the Puma. I posted this same question on www.feldgrau.net (a site I highly recommend for anyone) and got a very good interesting reply which lines up with unconfirmed information I already had. A search for anything containing 'Puma' and / or '234/2' brings up a lot of good information on this site. I prefer to do a lot of research (down to tactical markings) to get a good display reasonably right. Thanks for the help.
HenschelTurret
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2018 - 09:17 AM UTC
On pages 216 & 217 in the book “Duel in the Mist 2”, there are excellent details writings strongly suggesting and a correcting of things, that no Pumas made it to La Gleize and what was likely to have happened instead, including one Puma that took a wrong turn.
Instead the vehicles at La Gleize were 2 x 234/1 and 1 x 234/3. A book well worth getting hold of.
 _GOTOTOP