_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Revell T80 MBT questions
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 215 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:04 PM UTC
good day guys!

this is my first time to try my hand on russian armor. i thought bout adding the T72 to my MBT collection but i found out that revell makes a T80.. has anyone else built this kit from revell? its not available here so i have to order it from the internet. by order, i couldnt inspect the parts myself.. does this kit come with vinyl tracks or individual track links? coz i personally prefer the vinyl ones coz their easier to assemble.. how is it to build? is it an accurate kit?

i hope you guys dont mind me asking these questions.. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

and here's a picture of the kit.. thanks again!

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:18 PM UTC
Sounds like a good idea. I always wanted to make this one myself.....

I have never opened the kit, but here is the product description from Luckymodel:

Model-details:
- Rotating turret
- Structural details on surfaces
- True-to-original tracks with injection moulded segments
- Hatches can be opened and closed
- Smoke grenade dischargers
- Separate fuel tanks at rear
- 4 different versions can be painted (2 x Russia, Ukraine, Pakistan)

It seems like it is link and length tracks which is actually a good compromise between rubber band tracks and individual link tracks.

HERE you can see the instructions and see the link and length track. Also some cool information on the different versions that can be build.

Hope this helps
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 10:59 PM UTC
great find jesper! appreciate the help! guess i'll be buying the kit after all.. i've always wanted to have at least one russian MBt in my collection.... the T80 will go well with my M1A2, challenger 2, leclerc and the leopard 2A6..

thanks again!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 01:58 AM UTC
Look for information for the DML or Dragon T-80. They are the same kits. There were three manufacturer who made variants of the T-80 in 1/35 scale. The Lindberg kit was a joke, then came the Dragon kit and the Skif kit was the final one that is most accurate, but lacking in the finer details than Dragon kit.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Look for information for the DML or Dragon T-80. They are the same kits. There were three manufacturer who made variants of the T-80 in 1/35 scale. The Lindberg kit was a joke, then came the Dragon kit and the Skif kit was the final one that is most accurate, but lacking in the finer details than Dragon kit.

Even worse, forms used by Revell are the ones previously used by Zvezda, so expect lots of flash and mold imperfections. DML's turret appears to be imagineered and completely out of proportion as is everything on it. Hull is some 5mm narrower and shorter than the ideal 1/35 scaling. Side skirts are also short and lack adequate details (except for Kontakt-5 sections, these are ok to use on skif's kit.....) Whole suspension is also under-scaled and oversimplified in details. Tracks are some sort of hybrid between T-64 and T-80 ones; road wheels appear too small in diameter even without measuring Fortunately, there have been a lot of aftermarket goodies coming out for T-80 family in past three months. There are wheel sets from Masterclub, SP Designs and MR models. Track sets from Masterclub, Modelfixer (little patience and this set will make even crappy Skif kit look good) and Miniarm. Latter is designed for T-90 conversion so don't use sprockets and idlers from that set. Lastly, if there is one good thing about Revell's re-box, it is the decal sheet.
Cheers
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:33 PM UTC
I would also try to stay away if you are not a big Russian amour man. The kit i9s both inaccurate and badly molded (and poorly detailed). The Tamiya T-55 and T-72 just look much better and are easier to make in the end. Even with all the aftermarket stuff, Zvezda model does look look that good. HTH, Dmitry
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 01:51 PM UTC
Duh, I just realized that artwork was wrong too! It shows turret produced by Omsk Transmash from 1992 fitted on KhBTM chassis and their remote controlled hMG!!!!!
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 05:58 PM UTC
thanks for all the advices guys.. its sad that the most modern russian tamiya tank released was the T72.. how i wish they'd make a T90.. does anyone here know if there's such a kit available in the market? does anyone make a russian T90 kit?

arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 06:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i'll keep that in mind sabot! thanks for the heads up.. by the way, how do you guys know if one kit is a reboxed version of another? where do you get the info?

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i'll keep that in mind sabot! thanks for the heads up.. by the way, how do you guys know if one kit is a reboxed version of another? where do you get the info?

Well, sometimes we learn the hard way by buying a "new" kit that turns out to be identical to one that's been sitting in the closet for ten years. If we are lucky enough to get an online review first, we will usually get a fair warning there (there are still a few online reviewers out there who gush over everything they build, but not on this site, at least).
And of course, the fans who waited fervently for a fresh take on a beloved subject always scream bloody murder on the message boards when they find out that it's just a recycled mold. Sometimes a simple archive search will give you all the information you need on a suspect kit.
Strangely, many mass market magazines are often silent on the provenance of a newly released kit--either their staff haven't been around long enough to know the products, or they are afraid of alienating their advertisers.
After a while, you start to learn which companies swap molds around regularly--Zvezda, Revell/Germany and Italeri all share molds, for instance. You also pick up industry news. For instance, Alanger acquired ICM's older molds during a bankruptcy, and Italeri bought Esci's molds after it folded. More recently, AFV Club bought Skybow's 1/35th scale molds after they decided to concentrate on smaller scales.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks for all the advices guys.. its sad that the most modern russian tamiya tank released was the T72.. how i wish they'd make a T90.. does anyone here know if there's such a kit available in the market? does anyone make a russian T90 kit?

More salt for you There are no styrene kits of T-90 or T-72BM currently on market. Zvezda announced it in their 2005 catalogue, but it was cancelled recently. If acquiring T-90 model is a do-or-die for you, just save up and buy conversion sets from Miniarm. And BTW latest all Russian AFV produced by Tamiya is T-55A; their T-72 kit was an acceptable replica of T-72M used by Warsaw Pact nations.
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, sometimes we learn the hard way by buying a "new" kit that turns out to be identical to one that's been sitting in the closet for ten years. If we are lucky enough to get an online review first, we will usually get a fair warning there (there are still a few online reviewers out there who gush over everything they build, but not on this site, at least).
And of course, the fans who waited fervently for a fresh take on a beloved subject always scream bloody murder on the message boards when they find out that it's just a recycled mold. Sometimes a simple archive search will give you all the information you need on a suspect kit.
Strangely, many mass market magazines are often silent on the provenance of a newly released kit--either their staff haven't been around long enough to know the products, or they are afraid of alienating their advertisers.
After a while, you start to learn which companies swap molds around regularly--Zvezda, Revell/Germany and Italeri all share molds, for instance. You also pick up industry news. For instance, Alanger acquired ICM's older molds during a bankruptcy, and Italeri bought Esci's molds after it folded. More recently, AFV Club bought Skybow's 1/35th scale molds after they decided to concentrate on smaller scales.

wow.. that a lot of useful info.. you guys sure know a lot bout these stuff. i'll keep that in mind.. thanks a lot gerald!
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

More salt for you There are no styrene kits of T-90 or T-72BM currently on market. Zvezda announced it in their 2005 catalogue, but it was cancelled recently. If acquiring T-90 model is a do-or-die for you, just save up and buy conversion sets from Miniarm. And BTW latest all Russian AFV produced by Tamiya is T-55A; their T-72 kit was an acceptable replica of T-72M used by Warsaw Pact nations.

guess i'll be saving up for that too.. i'll go check out the miniarm website for that.. the T90 looks way too cool to pass up.. just hope it doesnt cost a fortune like all the resin kits do.. thanks george!
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

guess i'll be saving up for that too.. i'll go check out the miniarm website for that.. the T90 looks way too cool to pass up.. just hope it doesnt cost a fortune like all the resin kits do.. thanks george!

I just purchased the miniarm T-90 kit from Lucky Model. cost was in the region of $85 total (turret and hull mod) and Lucky Model ships Miniarm for free.
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
^^ appreciate the heads up mike! i'll start saving for that!
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

^^ appreciate the heads up mike! i'll start saving for that!

Just had a look over there and the total for the turret and hull upgrade is $90.98. It gets very expensive if you add the track/drive sproket set and the road wheel set. I bought my turret/hull upgrade a couple of weeks ago when they had their sale and got an additional 10% off.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 03:48 PM UTC
NO!!!!!!!! Get Masterclub or Model Kasten's T-72 track set if you are planning on building initial production T-90 (T-72BM1). T-80 tracks became main type a short while later.
 _GOTOTOP