_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Early Sherman
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi there, I've bought the Tamiya M4 Sherman early production today.
I was quite impressed when I opened the box. Has anyone build it... and if so do you have any comments on the kit.
I'd like to know before I start to build it, so I can make a beauty out of it!!

All the best, John.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:37 AM UTC
I welcome you to check my feature on building the M4 here on Armorama: https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/48
Hope it helps!

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
I've heard that this kit requires some fixing up i don't know what tho, heres a link to the place where i read this https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/100 happy modeling dragon wagon!
mp_guy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:13 PM UTC
As of right now, I have several copies of this fine kit, and have taken a silver and a gold at my local AMPS contests. There are several things that you can do to make this kit a real winner. My gold has RPHS T-48 tracks, and I added the wading trunks from the Italeri Marine Sherman. I found several pictures of the version included on the decal sheet with the large H2 on the turret, that was coming off the baot on D-Day plus one. I also drilled the bolt holes in the bogies, and added the three bolts on the bottom of the bogie housing. These are simple cheap addons that make this a better model.

On my silver I went all out. I added a complete interior, turret, hull, and engine compartment from Verlinden, RPHS tracks, and a Tank WorkshopCullin Hedgerow cutter and periscopes. Good references are a must here. In addition to the interior, I added the M3 grease guns and intercom wiring, also scratch building the periscope storage box. Squadron Signal's Sherman walk around and Sherman in Action are good references that cover most of the major variations of this prolific Tank.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
Thanks for asking this question, and the replies. I got this kit last month and I'm tempted to make it my next project. I really like the simulated cast surface.

I have a question though. My kit seems to have duplicate sprues, for example I think I have a total of six figures, two full figures and four half ones. Is this usual with Tamiya? Not that I'm complaining.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC
Yes, you are supposed to have both of those sprues. Consider the extra figures a "bonus" -- some of the sprues in this kit come from Tamiya's original M4A3 kit. The Twin srues have the extra parts needed for the M4, such as the air cleaners (very nice and correct).

Unfortunately, Tamiya still didn't block the sponson bottoms, and the kit also has an incorrect suspension. The M4 should have bogies with horizontal return roller arms, not the upswept arms as is included in the kit. If you build it with the sand shields on, however, it pretty much hides this error. The alternative is to replace the bogies.

You'll have lots of parts left over after buiding this one, including a full set of road wheels.
 _GOTOTOP