Adding ivy/moss to walls Need help !
STRATERGIST
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hello people
This is my wall for first dio,its going to be graveyard/cemetery entrance.I need your expert advice on how to make/add ivy & moss.Please help, any comments or suggestions on how to improve my wall are welcome.Its verlinden productions park wall 1874 & park gate 1875 by the way.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi Andy. It would depend on your own criteria for quality or level of work needed. Probably the best is some of the etched sets available, and everything painted individually. They´re a bit 2D but some thin glue added to the steams can and rounding of the leaves, can give a very relaistic impression. This can be expensive and be quite a bit of work, but the results will top notch. Another cheaper option is to maybe get pre-cut laser leaves and fix them in place ... cheaper but can be as much work. Then there´s the cheapo fast method. Using some dried herbs ... oregano, parsley, etc and fixing them with with white glue, and painting later. Cost practically nothing if you rob the wife´s/Mother´s/girlfriends/your own supply.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:39 PM UTC
PS. Love the wall by the way. The details are outstanding. What company makes this?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:38 AM UTC
Franks got it covered. The best looking ones are PE. The cheaperst are white glue, thread, herbs.
Simple and effective.
Paint the thread first (if necessary), lay a thin line of glue down where you want the vine to go. Apply the thread.
Add some dilute white glue where you want leaves and sprinkle dried herbs over the glue. Shake off excess.
Hodson
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 02:23 AM UTC
I used chalk pastels for moss once and it looked realistic. I brushed water where I wanted moss, then sprinkled two colours of powdered green chalk over the spots. I built up layers where I wanted thicker moss. I didn't spray a coating over it after but I imagine this would make it more durable.

Ted
anti-hero
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 307 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 04:30 AM UTC
Andy,

Sorry I can't give you any advice on adding ivy to a wall, I haven't tried it myself. But I do have to say...Great job on that wall!!! It looks great! If the rest comes off as well as what you have so far, it will be stunning.

Cheers,
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 05:09 AM UTC
i would use crushed parsley (or other spices) why waste money on PE when it can be done so simply.

this is an example of what can be achieved

First up use some white glue (PVA, wood glue) and with a small cocktail stick run the glue in lines over the wall so that you get a tree shape spreading up and around.

then sprinkle on your choice of herb ( i use Parsley as it has a more leafy look to it), allow to dry then under coat with primer and then paint.

HTH

cheers

Keith Forsyth
STRATERGIST
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 06:46 AM UTC
Keith, i wish id seen this 10mins ago, just ordered some pe ivy
Your ivy "parsley" looks great as does your dio,id have been totally satisfied with this effect,,, oh well ! hope the pe looks as good
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 07:30 AM UTC
Again depending on the level of detail you want - these new products may be worth checking out

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/2695&adsort=on&nextnum=206794
feelpanzer
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 09:40 AM UTC
hallo,

have a look at www.joefix-studio.be
they have a lot of plants and ivy products.

feel the panzer
 _GOTOTOP