Hosted by Darren Baker
Rebuilding a Panther on Tank Overhaul
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 04:32 PM UTC
Tank Overhaul on the Military Channel featured a restoration of a Panther by a Jacques Lightfield (noty sure of the last name) in the US and a Mr Wheatfield in the UK. Very interesting program. Jacques' tank was found in a river in Poland and wound up in the US by way of a German collector. The turrent had to be built from scratch as the actual turrent was damaged beyond repair as the crew scuttled the tank. The hull has been completely rebuit and includes Zim
Ch
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 04:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tank Overhaul on the Military Channel featured a restoration of a Panther by a Jacques Lightfield (noty sure of the last name) in the US and a Mr Wheatfield in the UK. Very interesting program. Jacques' tank was found in a river in Poland and wound up in the US by way of a German collector. The turrent had to be built from scratch as the actual turrent was damaged beyond repair as the crew scuttled the tank. The hull has been completely rebuit and includes Zim
Ch

Mr Littlefield has, I believe, the largest private collection of armored and military soft-skin vehicles in the world, including things like SCUD launchers and a truly massive ex-Soviet 203mm self-propelled gun. The show tonight was a repeat.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ch

Mr Littlefield has, I believe, the largest private collection of armored and military soft-skin vehicles in the world, including things like SCUD launchers and a truly massive ex-Soviet 203mm self-propelled gun. The show tonight was a repeat.

What era is the Soviet 203mm Self-propelled gun from?
Ch
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 05:06 PM UTC
The show has been a letdown this season. They dont spend a whole lot of time actually showing you the restoration.

They should spend a season doing just one tank.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 510 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 05:59 PM UTC
Agreed. I wish I could own a tank some day... but for now I am content with building models and drooling over that collection!
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What era is the Soviet 203mm Self-propelled gun from?
Ch

Current. It's a 2S7. http://www.armscontrol.ru/atmtc/Arms_systems/Land/Artillery/Self_Propelled/2S7_Pion_SP_Gun.htm

His collection was featured on a National Geographic special about billionaires and their toys.
zululand66
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 233 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi All,
Just to clarify, when I visited the Littlefield collection a couple of years ago, their panther did not have zimmerit. I believe that the Wheatfield Panther does. Also, the Littlefield collection is the only place (I am told) that has a JS-3, M-103 and Conqueror all in the same place. If you can ever get to Palo Alto, CA make sure you spend a day there. The collection is magnificent as the collection is in jaw-dropping condition. They also have the inly hex-turreted T-34/76 in North America. Definitely worth a visit. But, you have to make an appointment beforehand.
Regards,
Georg

Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 02:56 AM UTC
More of the Littlefield Panther can be seen here

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
 _GOTOTOP