_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Need Help....T-72Bm
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi all.....some lightening and a first oil wash done....It needs a weathering...I know...any suggestions?!?How can I depict this beast better that this?!Any comments and suggestions are welcome
Hi all
Ciro

mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 08:49 PM UTC
Hi,

I see you have chosen the Miniarm kit, great!
Well, I think that the big difference between Russian tanks and "other" tanks is that the Russians like to put stuff on the outside so I think you should emphasize on that. So you could make the high parts like all the ERA and radiation cladding a slightly lighter version of the green you have used and the steel hull and turret parts a bit darker. Then you could make your green even more lighter and give all edges, nuts and bolts a drybrush

about the barrel, in the grooves on top you could insert a small "ridge" of plastic to simulate the thermal sleeve.

I am currently building the T-72B Dolly Parton, sanding all those ERA bricks is a nightmare

Cheers,

Matthijs
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 02:04 AM UTC
This is very nice! I have the kit too, but no time to start it. One thing I note about Russian tanks is their semi glossy finish. I usually get this effect with a heavy oil dry brush or filters. You must find the right color of green. Thereafter, I would use pigment washes on lower surfaces and some detailed pigment application in other places. I guess it all depends on how dirty you want the model to be. In any case you are at a great place!!! Regards, Dmitry
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 06:07 PM UTC
Hi Ciro, excellent work so far (great, now I want this kit too ) T-72BMs are not nearly as abundant as T-72B or T-80s, thus they are generally 'cleaner' then others, so unless you are trying to depict some concrete vehicle (eg, working with picture or article) feel free to use standard coupling of dry brush and washing maybe some minor pigment use. Here is useful little T-72BM walk around page. Keep up good work.
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 06:54 PM UTC
Matthijs,Dmitry and George thanks for your suggestions,I'll try to follow your words and I'll base my next steps on this beast with some oil washes...and lightening some areas,little weathering cause in my photos of T-72Bm it isn't so dirty....I'll post more photos soon...Stay Safe all...and again,,,,,
Thanks

Ciro
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
little progress....numbers and other oil wash...while I'm studing some reference for future weathering.....comments please....
Ciro

VolkerS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Ciro,

I like your T-72BM very much, because it isn't baked with mud, as seen very often. Altough many of those models are really well done (and in fact there are many pics of real T-72 were you can barely recognise it's a tank), it's fine to see one with only subtle weathering, therefore showing it's details!

So thanks for posting

Volker
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hi Volker,thanks for your words...my original idea was to depict this beast with minor weathering...I have various photos of this tank in chechenya conflict and in these photos it's full of mud....I want add some weathering but definitely not in "Mud-style"...but there's a lot of work to do!!patience and time.... :-) I've another o the workbench and the idea is to paint in in a three tone camo...

ok.... safe!!!and thanks

Ciro
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Volker,thanks for your words...my original idea was to depict this beast with minor weathering...I have various photos of this tank in chechenya conflict and in these photos it's full of mud....I want add some weathering but definitely not in "Mud-style"...but there's a lot of work to do!!patience and time.... :-) I've another o the workbench and the idea is to paint in in a three tone camo...

ok.... safe!!!and thanks

Ciro

and if something goes bad, you can always do this.....
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:56 AM UTC
Looks really-really great. (I gotta get me a job and get some of these kits...)
You might try using oils directly: wet the surface with turpentine, add oil, leave it there for 20 min, and start bending it in with a clean, wet brush. White, dark yellow, brown, black, etc can make a very interesting, used-looking surface. (See "Building and Weathering Military Vehicles" -I hope that's the right title.)

(I have a DML T-72, but I haven't even started it yet... The amount of details in these AM sets make it look sad, and smooth...)
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 04:43 AM UTC
You want to very your base color and add lighter tones to the upper areas and darker tones to more hidden areas. Intentional shading? You also want to do this BEFORE drybrushing or filters. This may give it a more mottled appearance, but once you add a unifying all-over filter it will start to blend together.

I use thinned Future Floor Polish with a slight amount of Windsor & Newton Watercolor; burnt sienna and burnt umber. This will slightly darken the whole paint job, but will also help bring uniformity to the colors and even provide some shadows around details.

Paint your mantlet cover a different color...light/darker tan or light green.

Also, the 3 tone cammo would break up the color!
 _GOTOTOP