_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
If MAVFA Nats weren't at Duxford, would you..
Shermaniac
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
go every year?

My answer is NO, 'cause the vehicle display seems to be mostly Jeeps, Land Rovers and Trucks. Also the vehicles are generally parked so close together that you can't get many (if any) photo's.

What say you all
Jimmie
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

You mean there are military vehicles there as well?????

I must take a look sometime....................

Seriously, if you have a gripe go direct to the MVS organisers. They are probably unaware of the photography challenges. However, do tread lightly, these guys are volunteers like the Mafiosi.
"Less of the negative waves Moriarty...."

As for the selection of Mil vehicles, what comes in comes in. You cannot force someone to drive umpteen miles in a slow gas guzzling MV if they don't want to (unless you have a shotgun), and with the rain we had on the Saturday the marquee nearly became a boating lake. If I owned a pristine Serbo-Croat motorised bath chair 1848 pattern Mk 1* I would have thought more than twice about bringing it to Dx to have ice-cream spilt over it. So its the Land Rovers and Jeeps that turn up.

It would appear everyone is skint this year, so unless Gordon Brown (The one from Kikaldy not the one from Glasgow) starts issuing free fuel vouchers it may well be a bit of a tame year. Hopefully weather and turn out will be better at Beltring.

Never-the-less I hope you enjoyed the day out, the intention is for all to enjoy it.

I don't have an e-mail address for the DAS MT, but you can write to them c/o IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire, CB2 4QR.

or e-mail Adam Kendall (event manager) at [email protected]
He welcomes feedback in order to improve the show.

HTH

Paul Middleton
Shermaniac
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Yes I did enjoy the day, even managed to build AND FINISH my M26 pershing. Still waiting for my prize though - you know - the 'At last he finally entered a model' prize.

I am aware that MAFVA have no control over IWM and the MV meet but AH! ' I remember when......' we had all sorts of military vehicles to chose from . It's such a pity that we no longer have that history.

I can only hope forlornly that Gordon Brown, the un-elected PM, will give assistance to our 'living history' enthusiasts to enable them to bring back the nostalgia to our lives.

I am also aware that military 'anything' is not very politically correct but, as the old saying goes 'he, who fails to learn from history, is destined to repeat it' and unless we have the history from which to learn WATCH OUT

I know my rantings are but I feel it has to be said.

But hey! - Great MAFVA Nationals, thoroughly enjoyed my day out saw some very accomplished models both on display and in competition. I shall be ing up on next years subject and will hopefully have another for the competition.

I will now except to say
Removed by original poster on 08/01/07 - 23:27:32 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP