_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill AVRE - once SBG, always SBG?
Royohboy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:21 AM UTC
I have a question about Churchill AVREs which I hope someone here can answer:
Would a Churchill AVRE carrying a Small Box Girder bridge be only ever used in this role, or would the same vehicle carry other gadgets when required?

The question may sound odd, but I'm thinking about building the Revell/Matchbox kit without the SBG and associated equipment (winch, etc.), but with the same markings. So, the question is, would the equipment/attachment have changed frequently, less frequently, or not at all?
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 06:11 AM UTC

Hi ya

Ok this is a quick brief the AVRE or all types are just the means to carry different attachments to achieve the crossing for a battle group.
Example, my DAD, drove a AVRE with a fascine on Rhine crossing, Goch he was using the petard towing a sledge against tree road blocks, laid the last SBG at Bemenvorden . And each time they just changed the equipment.
But only certain equipments were used by AVRE’s actually once off the beach, mainly SBG, fascine, Sledges, SNAKE and Skid Bailey.
Hope this explains it the easy way
Ossie

Royohboy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 06:37 AM UTC
Thanks a ton, Ossie! Not only does this answer my question - it is the answer I hoped for
 _GOTOTOP