Hosted by Darren Baker
Revell M1A1 or M1A2 comparision
MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 01:53 PM UTC
I don't know if this is old news, but I just acquired both an M1A1 and M1A2 kit by Revell. I found it very interesting how they compared. Obviously you would expect them to be based on the same tooling, which they are. But there is a bit of a surprise in how they are different.

I expected the M1A2 kit to have some extra parts or modified parts, which it does. HOWEVER, the commander's cupola on the M1A1 is molded with the turret top. I was depressed when I saw that because I wanted to pose mine. So I looked at the M1A2 kit and found both the M1A1 cupola molded as a SEPARATE piece and the cupola for the M1A2. Very nice surprise.

This led me to check out the rest of the kit. All the parts required to make an M1A1 version are in the M1A2 kit, but they are separate. For instance the exhause grille on the M1A1 kit is a single piece, but on the M1A2 kit the center section is a separate piece that allows you to build either version.

I guess what I saying is that if you want an M1A1 kit, buy the M1A2. You get extra pieces (including an extra .50 cal, great for a gun truck) and can build either one. The only problem might be decals, but there really aren't a ton of them on a modern tank anyway.

Not to mention the M1A1 is molded in dark greek, while the M1A2 is molded in tan. Easier to paint NATO tricolor or sand over tan.

I'm sure there are some details on the kit that aren't 100% accurate, but it is convincing to me. The kit is completely better than the Esci kit in every regard. I'm really looking forward to these two and might need a third for a Thunder Run diorama!
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 02:29 PM UTC
Uh, what scale are you referring to? 1:72?

Jim
MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:15 AM UTC
Sorry, yes I meant 1/72 scale. I managed to screw things up and my post did not go to the correct forum. I couldn't figure out why they didn't show up.

I sure wish there was a way to move this over to Braille Scale.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:55 AM UTC
I still have some powers, all moved.
 _GOTOTOP