_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Zvezda's T34(1943) any good?
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 - 04:37 PM UTC
I'm wondering if anybody has built this kit and what they can tell me about it?
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC
Good for someone who wants just a base for major overhaul. Whatever you do, cover your eyes when you think you may see the tracks . The kit's turret and engine deck are too simplified in detail as is just about everything in the kit. There are also some dimensional issues. All to all, if you think you can save by buying this kit and some aftermarket, you're in for a big disappointment. You will actually spend more then you would if you had DML's T-34 and trying to revert/upgrade it to prod 43 vehicle.
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the warning George. I'll be avoiding that one then.

Funny how there is almost every German vehicle imaginable out there, yet we've only got a few quality models covering the most ubiquitous Soviet tank of WW2.

I'm glad DML/Cyberhobby are filling in this huge gap, but they're not exactly falling over themselves to cover the various types as they are with say the Pz IV
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC
Not great. It will be okay if you add an aftermarket track set and a photoetch brass set, and texture the cast parts. The cut outs for the springs in the vehicle sidewalls are entirely absent (like the older Tamiya kit), though this is concealed if you use one of the solid wheel types (and only marginally noticeable if you use the perforated type). And the swingarms are fixed to the hull sides (also like Tamiya).
I suppose you might take the turret (which is better dimensionally than Tamiya's version), and mate it to a Dragon T-34.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:09 AM UTC
Old AMPS site had a rather nice review of this kit. In addition to what Gerald says,you might want to get a set of Jaguar's movable roadwheel arms if you really want to hack.
cheers!
wanagun
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 07:44 PM UTC
So what is the best kit, or way of making a kit, for T-34 1943. I can not find anyone making one up to todays standard. Is Tamiya still the best on the scene. I am stunned that Trumpeter makes it in 1/16th but nothing in 1/35th.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 07:59 PM UTC
Just because Trumpeter makes a really nice 1/16 edition doesn't mean they would have the best in 1/35. The best kit is the one YOU make,depending on how much YOU want to put into it to make YOU happy and satisfied.Like it says in my signature:
"It's not where you start,it's where you finish"
cheers!
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 09:10 AM UTC
Let's see, the quickest route to a good hex-turreted T-34 would be to get DML's UTZ or bedspring armor version of the T-34-85 and put a Tamiya or Zvezda turret on it along with a few smaller tweaks.

That's if you have to have this tank right now.

If you can wait a bit I would be shocked if DML doesn't continue their current line of very well-received T-34s with a hex-turreted version. The turret itself is one of the few pieces they have not yet done already. The tracks, wheels, and most of the hull has already been kitted by them.

I don't have any inside info - I am just speculating. But I would put money on it.

Danny Egan
President
AMPS

AMPS 08 - Apr 10-12 2008 WW2 Victory Museum Auburn Indiana JOIN US
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's see, the quickest route to a good hex-turreted T-34 would be to get DML's UTZ or bedspring armor version of the T-34-85 and put a Tamiya or Zvezda turret on it along with a few smaller tweaks.

That's if you have to have this tank right now.

If you can wait a bit I would be shocked if DML doesn't continue their current line of very well-received T-34s with a hex-turreted version. The turret itself is one of the few pieces they have not yet done already. The tracks, wheels, and most of the hull has already been kitted by them.

I don't have any inside info - I am just speculating. But I would put money on it.

Danny Egan
President
AMPS

AMPS 08 - Apr 10-12 2008 WW2 Victory Museum Auburn Indiana JOIN US

Like I said above, I'm shocked that it hasn't happened yet. If Dragon gets on the stick and starts churning out T-34s the way they have Panzer IVs and 251s I'll be very happy.

I'd love to see a hex turreted 1943 model and one of the early models with applique armor
 _GOTOTOP