_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting 1/72 Armor
NJLion
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 04:02 AM UTC
I just bought a Dragon 1/72 Sherman tank model. What size brushes would I use to paint the details on such a small model? I want to paint the details of the hand tools that are part of the tank body mold.
xplan303ex
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 04:18 AM UTC
In the past I have used 0, 00 and 000 brushes for handtools on 1/72 armor. You'll find the top sides are a lot more easier to paint than the sides, I find it hard to get a nice smooth edge between the handtool and the tank itself, main problem with molded on tools (very common in 1/72 armor). Good luck!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 04:36 AM UTC
You may even want to shave them off and scratch build a few with bits of wire and styrene. It makes painting easier.
tray
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:18 AM UTC
I use 3/0 size brush for painting most of the details. (I'm not sure, but this brush size may be "000" in other countries) I used to use smaller brushes, but I found that more depends on your technics than on your brush size.

Okay, seriously, some hints:
- Pick up only a very small amount of paint with your brush. Try to avoid overthinning the paint - actually, I use thinner only to prevent the paint drying in the plate, I dont mix them, just put a drop of thinner on the paint and occasionally swing the plate to let the thinner flow on the paint. You will need a piece of paper to paint on before going on the model.
- Use oil paints for details (I use ModelMaster/Testors, but other brands may be just as good). Acrilic paints will dry in your brush too fast.
- Have patience You may have a few unlucky movements with the brush, so prepare to fix some areas with the base paint. Also, oil paints have the advantage that you can mostly remove them with thinner and a clean brush.
 _GOTOTOP