_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Iraqi BRDM-2
smciver121
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 03:14 AM UTC
Hey all

I have started to get back into modeling after a 15 year break. For my first project I figured I would start small and simple, and decided to go with the Dragon BRDM-2 kit. I love having the internet to do my reading with. Makes things much easier. I have a few questions, and after searching the forums I could not find any definitive answers. Who makes a paint that closely matched the Iraqi sand color? TO me it looks like old of the BRDM's were delivered green and got a coat of something over the top of that. Maybe someone could set me on the right path. I was thinking of starting with Tamiya Sand.... As it is sold in a spray can and I have not decided on an air brush yet...

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:04 AM UTC
Iraqi color varies...tremendously. I know this sounds like a cop-out but...color it the way you think it should look. It could be anything from a very light sand/pink to a duskier/darker tan-brown. Add in sun and weathering, and lack of proper maintenance, and you get a large variation in paint color.

If you are just gettin gback into the hobby, use it as a chance to get familiar with the more advanced weathering/painting techniques that will make the paint job less monotone and also make the finished product look more interesting.

And remember, you will not do as well as you would like the first 100 models or so that you build!
smciver121
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:48 AM UTC
Yes from the pic's I have seen, they are all over the place. Thank you for the post, and I will be sure to post pictures of my efforts when I get he done. At some point I would like to build another BRDM, as I found a nice picture of a Iraqi unit that has some sand colored paint over a green base, and the sand was chipping off. I know at this point there is no way I can simulate that.

Scott
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:13 AM UTC
Sure you can...

Paint the BRDM up with the sand color.

then get a scotchbrite pad (Green scrubbie used in sinks and for house cleaning) and cut off a 1 inch x inch square.

Dip it in something like Model Master Dark Green paint (bottle). Acrylic is recomended. Then dab it lightly on a paper towel, then carefully add "chips" using edges or corners. A little practice and you will see how this works like a charm.

Add a wash of dark brown, extreemly thinned paint to the model. I recomend adding some brown watercolor (from the little tubes of artist grade stuff, not a kids paint set) like Burnt Umber to Future floor polish and brushing this on with as FEW strokes as possible. This will also darken all the paints and blend them better.

Once it is dry (a day or two) spary with Testors Flat.

Once dry, get ahold of some earth tone pastel chalks...NOT oil chalks. (Available at art/hobby stores like Micheals or Hobby Lobby) Grind some up with sandpaper and add to appropriate places using a cheap paint brush.

If the paint chips are larger (more like whole chunks the size of human head or so) , then here is a slightly more advanced technique.

Paint the BRDM Dark Green.

Buy a fresh bottle of rubber cement and using some care, add cement to the areas that will have th paint chips.

Paint the kit the sand color.

Once the sand color is dry, rub off the rubber cement with your fingers or a pencil eraser. GO EASY so you do not rub off all the paint. Experiment and it will come to you.

Add a wash (see above).

Spray Flat.

Add pastels.

This is a very basic start, but will "get you in the game" and you can take off from there.
smciver121
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:29 AM UTC
Awesome and thank you. I have some water colors and have done washes in the past. Let me find the photo I have tonight so you get an idea of what I am talking about. thanks again.

Scott
smciver121
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:05 AM UTC
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:33 AM UTC
Well, have some fun with it. Either technique will work well, but it will take some of both to get the full effect.

Show pics as you work and when you finish...looking forward to seeing it built.
 _GOTOTOP