_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiyas T-62
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:09 PM UTC
Hi @all.

I just got to know this site and I'm very happy that I've found it

I just got a question, cuz its mentioned more than once: what the hell is so wrong with Tamiyas T-62 kit? I just read something about the turret.... but I'm more specialized in T-55 tanks... but just intended to build a 62...

thx for answers and hopefully its not a topic stressed tooooooo much lately
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 01:02 AM UTC
Welcome to the site. I know it has a lot of problems, but to be honest, I do not think I've ever seen a full description of all the problems. Cookie Sewell once did a build up review for Fine Scale Modeler. The article is still available in one of their books, Armor Conversion and Detailing Projects (ISBN 0-89024-268-2).
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 01:41 AM UTC
IIRC the turret is 2mm too shallow, and the whole kit is more 1:32 than 1:35. Other than that there are lots of smaller faults. I'd stick with T-55's and later marks for now and wait for the Trumpeter T-62 to come out.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 03:26 AM UTC
First, wait for the Trumpeter T-62. It should be better but we will see.

Problems(short list - longer one in not really worth the effort):

1. Scale ...it measures out to about 1/32.5 scale, not 1/35. It is noticable if you compare it to the Tamiya T-55 parts like the roadwheels.

2. Detail. It has a VERY low level of detail even for a early Tamiya kit. Definately made more for motorization than for scale detail.

3. Turret. Turret is about 2mm too shallow. Shape of overall turret is incorrect, especially the overhang on the front. Artwork on box top is somewhat correct, model is not.

4. Hull. Motorization - Ugh. Tracks are sub-par. Roadwheels are too shallow and incorrect in detail. Engine deck is simplified. Front lights and "cage" are incorrectly engineered. Cast on pioneer tools.

Overall, it is the only kit available for now. But it started out life messed up in a way that was...unfortunate. (Kinda like having a M1 with a rounded turret front instead of the proper flat slabs) I have built and converted many of these kits and I have always been unsatisfied with how they turn out. Even adding as many extraneous details to the base kit, it just looks wrong. And I am NOT a bolt-counter by any stretch, but ...

If you HAVE to work with a Tamiya kit, SP Designs has several conversions. They will probably be remastered (and unlike current Verlinden bad-habit, this means that they really WILL be remastered, not just renamed) for the newer Trumpeter kits.

At least there is hope on the way. It would have been nice if Tamiya had followed up their T-55 with a brand new T-62, but they missed the boat. Oh well.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 05:20 AM UTC
Thx for the detailed answer Jacques!
If it's like u said, I'll just wait for a new kit, thats right. I don't HAVE to build the kit now and if it doesn't look right... its kinda useless I'd say

Thx again for the tips.

edit: I built the T-55 kit of Tamiya and will soon begin another one. And I just gotta say, that the T-55 kit is quite good (only the tracks are.... well.... u know... without words); I'd even say the best on the market.

How old is the T-62 kit now?
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 08:04 AM UTC
Gary,

That keeps being an impressive build every time I see it.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary,

That keeps being an impressive build every time I see it.

... it is indeed! Great work, but I guess I'm gonna wait for the Trumpeter kit.

I was just asking for the Tamiya kit cuz it is so much less priced than the newer ones... but with such problems and this age...
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 09:51 AM UTC
Same here,

In the mean time there are still the Tamiya T-55 and T-72 (easily updated with JS models turret), to do. ;-)
 _GOTOTOP