_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Finally a Sightseeing wip
insolitus
Visit this Community
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC
G'day people!
Now after more than half a year I have finally managed to work so much on my Sightseeing dio (1/16th) that there is a reason to show you an update.
Here is first a pic of the whole dio before priming, but with the first parts of the roof:

Here are the pics of the primed dio, but with roof of so I'm able to install the clear plastic for windows, and later the curtains:

And finally here is a close up of the closed window. The hinges are made out of brass sheet, soldering lead and green stuff:

I have also found an easy (cheating? ) way of making the roof tiles. I can use one of the cnc mills at my university...hehe

I still don't know of any good way to make the ivy wich should climb at the wall, does anyone have any ideas or recommended products? If I manage to get a good "master model" I could probably photo etch one myself, would that be a good idea? Any ideas on this or other comments very much apreciated!
Thanks for watching!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC
Looking good Andreas. I take it that the wooden beams from the first floor walls are seperate for painting? The cobble stones (exactly like those in Gamla Stan) and the shutters are excellent ... will be really nice to see these painted up.
For ivy, you could use dried herbs. Looks ok in 1/35, but should be perfect at this scale. Plusmodel do a range of laser cut leaves that might have some better detail .. then theres etch ... but as you´re well aware ... this will get expensive.
How are figures coming along?
flipper21
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 268 posts
Armorama: 144 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
Andreas, very impressive so far. What are the dimensions of your building? Aber makes a photo etch set of ivy/vines, I found them at coloradominiatures.com. I was looking for a set of ivy for a vignette I am planning to do. Hope this helps Vince
insolitus
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC
Frank, Thanks for the kind comments and tips on ivy! Actually there will not be any beams on the first floor, I wanted to show some different wall styles so I let the first be as it is. Something like this:

The ivy and the shutters for the last window will make it look less plain I hope. The figures are as you saw them last time sadly... ...the head of the first one is ready. But I have at least bought the second one!

Thanks Vince! I'll check that up. The dimensions of the building are about 45cm high and 25cm wide. I actually don't have any place for it in my student room I'm living in at the moment, except on my working desk, so we'll see what happens with it when it's done...
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Andreas,
I've been waiting for an update of this dio...I almost forgot it was in 1/16 scale!!
Progress shots look very promising mate,the cobbles turned out very nicely.
Hopefully we won't have to wait so long for the next update
Cheers,
Shay
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 01:20 PM UTC
Gday Andreas, Long time no see!
This has turned out most excellent, and the attention to detail is great.
The most impressive thing to me is the sloped ground, as I have been toying with the same idea for a diorama for a while and you have given me the impetus to do so!
What have you done as far as an interior? Are there any open sides to the building, or have you blanked them off? I am having the same concerns for a current diorama building I am working on, as to whether to scratchbuild a interior or not...
Cheers
Brad
insolitus
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 06:43 AM UTC
Shay, Thanks! No, I hope it will go faster until the next update, but at least two months I think you have to wait guys... I am with my SWMBO this month and university starts after that...

Brad, Nice to here that I give you inspiration or impetus, I'm flattered. But I have to disapoint you with the interior, it will be blank. I will have a bit of curtains so the view is obstructed, and then everything is painted black inside so you can't really see anything. The back is just a black wall.

Thanks for watching guys!
 _GOTOTOP