Hosted by Darren Baker
M728 Engineering Vehicle Help
asobehart
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 04:25 AM UTC
Are there any conversion kits out there or do any of the M-60 kits available have the parts to make a Vietnam era M728? Other then the kit that was supposed to be coming out a year or so ago (I think it was supposed to be from Academy or AFV Club) I have never seen anything in 1/35th scale to make this vehicle.

If anybody has any thoughts or information it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 04:44 AM UTC
The only kit that is helpful is the Aademy M60A1 with M9 dozer blade. All the other parts have to be scratched. There is/was a conversion kit from AEF Designs, but it sucked and wasn't worth the effort. Almost every part was bad and had to be rebuilt or scratched anyways. There was a great article in the March '95 issue of FineScale Modeler that showed how to build it with a good description and scale drawings for the scratch parts.

I used it to build mine a while ago. Sorry, a crappy pic, but you get the idea.

Good luck.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 04:50 AM UTC
Andy -- Replicating an M 728 would be a challenge. Good luck if you embark on this journey.
DJ
asobehart
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. I was able to get the article from another member, thanks again.

I think that I am going to give it a go. But I do have one final question, is the AEF conversion the same as the one put out by Azimut Productions? If it is different is it any better? Not that I do not no how to scratch build, but every little bit helps, you know. But I have had it with rebuilding bad castings so I would like to know before a throw down a lot of $$$ that will cost me twice that in time and materials to use.

Thank to all again.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
More info here........
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:57 AM UTC
Andy-- If you build that one, let us all in on the secret of your success. She was a complicated vehicle and so intricate that it must have discouraged DML and Tamiya from even trying to field. Keep us informed and best of luck.
DJ
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:01 AM UTC
I have the AEF kit and lucky me bought it off someone who didn't want to fool with it and sold it to me for a song. It is crummy. I have done a little scratching on it, but the turret replacement piece didn't even come close to mating with kit parts. I made my own boom attachments and will clip a main gun. A lot of the small parts may be useful. Oh and I am using Acadamy's DOzer tank so at least I didn't have to deal with that stuff being messed up. Still the difficulty in this project has it placed on the back shelf in priority.
asobehart
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the further info guys. Matt, thanks for the additional. Gary, THANK YOU for the pictures, those are great.

I have been out of model building for some time, almost 15 years now. But I have always loved it and have always had a passion for the Vietnam subjects. Trying to give respect where due. And two Vietnam subjects that always haunted me, to this very day, the PACV and the M728. And since I have no intentions of scratch building a whole model (I'm not that good and too rusty), I thought the M728 would be a good place to pick back up, after some practice of course.

I too plan on using the Academy set as a base and from what I have read here I think I will go ahead and just make what is needed. The only conversion I could find was the Azimut kit and with no reference I wont risk it. The subject I think deserves the added attention to detail. I will post progess as it is warrented.

Thanks again!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC

It not too hard ...if you got the drawings --just awkward setting the jib square
Cost ...a few £($) for some tube and strip ...worth a try ---I enjoyed it
Hope you try ...good scratching
" TARGET="_blank">
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC
Andy..........

I have a 1/35 scale drawing od the PACV as well...............

Matt

(I may have deleted the email so send me another.......)
 _GOTOTOP