_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Abrams M1A2 SEP
ViperAtl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 04:09 PM UTC
Well I finally got my SEP last weekend. I traded the DS tracks in exchange for the Magic Tracks from the AIM kit. As has been stated the SEP did use those tracks on some units.

I was impressed with the DS tracks but a little surprised by the separate track horns considering that the Late Tiger tracks were slide molded. Still I like the look of the individual track links.

And at the rate things are going I probably will start on this kit way in the future and with any luck somebody will do some aftermarket individual tracks.

As I've said before, if Dragon were to do DS and individual tracks in the same kit I would gladly pay a couple of extra dollars for it. It can be done. Or if they had a reasonably priced aftermarket sets I would even go that route. Pass it on Pawel.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Still I like the look of the individual track links.

Really? With too small guide horns and end connectors sticking at weird angles around sprocket and idler?... Not to mention those ejector pin marks on each link. Oh, well - it's your choice. But I'm not going to apologize for telling DML to throw these Magic Track molds to the trash (OK, just kidding - they are still needed for new production runs of AIM kit) I agree with you that in general individual link tracks look great (e.g. those from Armour Track Models), but certainly not these Magic Tracks! If DML will ever release new M1 family kit that would need T158 tracks, these would be the same DS tracks as in SEP kit, but with new "solid" styrene guide horns.

Quoted Text

Pass it on Pawel.

Sure, but that would mean the need to tool new Magic Tracks, as I will not agree ever again to have both my name and old T158 Magic Tracks in one box together I respect your opinion, but in my opinion old Magic Tracks suck big time!

By the way, even if DML had decided to include individual link T158LL tracks in the kit, they would still have separate guide horns. It is simply impossible to make these links in one piece with correctly shaped hole in the guide horn (Tiger tracks are VERY different - guide horns are very simple in comparison).

Pawel
Majek_m
Visit this Community
Lodz, Poland
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 09:46 PM UTC
Guys, does anyone know when the kit is going to be available in Europe?
I am anxious to get my hands on it and so far I haven't seen it in any internet or hobby shops in Poland.
Thanks for the info if you have it.
 _GOTOTOP