Hosted by Darren Baker
Young Modelers
PISTOLPETE
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 03:29 AM UTC
I put this under the "group build" topic for this reason. I was looking at an old build labeled Father/ Son and initally thought dad/kid. Because of my love of this hobby my 9 and 7 year old sons have jumped right in, as a matter of fact my 9 year old is building DLM's M2A1. I am amazed at his ability to do a respectable job with those tiny parts. Small fingers also help dad sometimes. I have even got two of his friends now coming over with their kits I got for them. To get to my point, how many other guys are out there that are modeling with their kids and is their possibly of a true Father & Son Build Group. I am new to the site and not quite sure how to set one up. Love to hear some feedback, and have really enjoyed all the help so far.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 03:42 AM UTC
Peter,

Funny, I thought the same thing when I saw that campaign.

Since getting back into the hobby a couple of years back, my 9 y.o. son has gotten into it as well. He tends to focus on aircraft and does a respectable job on them, even if he never does install any landing gear. One thing we've been doing is getting either the same kit or at least the same subject and building them together. Our first effort was with the Italeri T-6 Texan. He was done in 2 days, me 3 months

Nice to see your son is doing well with the M2A1. I'm building it right now and it's not particularly hard, but I couldn't see my son building it.

Having a campaign like that might just be a lot of fun. The only challenge I see is timing. With the nice weather, my son doesn't spend much time indoors, let alone in the basement building kits. Once the weather turns, I'm sure he'll be back.

- Frank
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 04:07 AM UTC
I,ve been building kits with my daughter for some time now on and off, at the moment she has pinched all the MACKIT kits I have around the house and is working on the F18 Blue Angels, F16 Falcon, and F14 Tomcat. It’s nice to have something in common with my Daughter since she grew out of playing with Lego even if its an on off affair as regards commitment.

So if its father child build I will join in with her, I know she has her eye on a Humvee kit I have lying around and I’m sure I can find something to build at the same time from the same period or vein.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 04:07 AM UTC
Gentlemen, you have a very good suggestion here, if I may offer some advice-let this thread run and generate some interest. If you get enough positive responses make an official proposal on the campaign tab and submit for approval.
Removed by original poster on 07/26/07 - 00:27:44 (GMT).
PISTOLPETE
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So if its father child build I will join in with her, I know she has her eye on a Humvee kit I have lying around and I’m sure I can find something to build at the same time from the same period or vein.

Sorry, Darren I did not mean to be politically incorrect of course all the world is invited.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 06:09 PM UTC
No offence taken at all bud I just could not say father son build when it,s my daughter, plus being British I have to think about what i say or get a knock on the door from the boys in blue becouse i upset someone within 10 feet to the other side of the planet.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
Sounds like a good idea. This should certainly be a campaign for those long winter days.
PISTOLPETE
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 05:07 AM UTC
[quote This should certainly be a campaign for those long winter days. [/quote]
Yeah after taking to a few folks it seems like cold winter days stuck inside with cabin fever kids would be the right timing. LOL
HipKitty
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 390 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 05:14 AM UTC
Sign me and my son, Mason (aka MasonTheKid) up! He's about to turn 11 (on 1/30) and is kickin' my rear-end modelling...IMHO
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 05:27 AM UTC
Sorry Neal this thread is 5 years old.
HipKitty
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 390 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Neal this thread is 5 years old.

I didn't even notice....oh well..scratch that. I'll let Mason know. It was a good idea. I guess with the age of the thread, kids modeling are really a rarity....
 _GOTOTOP