_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Pics may of interest.......
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hy to all!

A friend of mine and I were allowed to enter military ground in Austria. This happened on last Wednesday. We where at the "Panzertruppenschule" and had a look at the local collection of tanks. I of course was focused on the russian ones.
The soldiers there repair and drive those vehicles to keep them in condition as good as possible. Of course they do this in ther spare-time for free, just because of interest.

Well, here are some pics of our first visit, I mainly focused on the two T-72 (ex-NVA)

On our next visit I will snap some shots of the T-55 AM2B.......

Here are some pics of which I thought they could be of interest for you, and may are helpfull........

Here we go, starting with the KMT-mount of the T-72:

Well, not a lot of space in a T-72........but sttill cool, especially when the ABC-system is running.

A bit of oil running from the exhaust.........

A T-72 Engine:

And on this one they made some ballistic tests...........interesting was, that the commander told me that none projectile, except one hitting the turret, could totally penetrate the armor. Next time I will ask which kind of ammunition they used.......

So, thats it for now. The best part on our visit was the ride on the T-72. (Not on the destroyed one :-D, on that with the KMT)
I also got a little souvenire........a taillight of the destroyed T-72.....awsome......
There are also a BTR-70, a BMP-1 and 2, the T-55 AM2B and several T-34/85. So, If anyone of you, need a pic of a special detail, let me know and I´ll do my best to make a good shot of it. (Also pics of the interior, no problem! Also from austrian vehicles, If requested. Including older Chaffees, M-41/47/48/60 etc.) And If somebody needs some pics in better resolution, just drop me a line......
Hope you like the pics, I personally think that the ones showing the mount of the KMT are very helpfull.....

Best regards,

Andy T.
SimonW
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 06:34 AM UTC
Thank you very much for these, very helpful. Look forward to future pics!
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:55 PM UTC
Thanks for the photos!
I was most interested in the mine plow assembly.

guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
Hi Andy!

Great! And I've got the first request for some pics Could u take some pictures of the T-55 AM2B, particularly: rear night march system (if its an NVA tank as well) and wheel chock holder above the exhaust... if its not a NVA tank u won't have those details, then don't bother... its still interesting

To the ballistic tests: I've served on a tank in army here in Germany and the worst problem, when hit by a projectile is NOT too weak armor, it is more or less simply dangerous for the crew: ur breaking simply ur neck, when hit. Its a bit like driving directly against a wall.... and u know in a tank there is nothing like airbag and stuff

And if the crew's no more.... the tank is gone as "enemy".
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 02:59 AM UTC
once more to the KMT: don't forget, the T-72 had the KMT-6M2 -> so not exactely the same like T-54/55/62 with a KMT-6.

So it depends which tank ur planning to build, if u say u wanna change the Skif-conversion kit..
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hey Marian!

Yeah, I think your absolutely right concerning the "damage" to the crew. I did not thought about that.......

Yes, all the russian stuff in Austria are former NVA-vehicles. The BTR-70 for example still has the NVA-insignia on it´s turret.

Do you mean that with "wheel hock holder"? It was directly over the exhaust and I do not know this detail from czech-build "Kladivo´s", so it should be what you mean. I took this one by chance, but will make more and better ones next time.

And of course some pics of the rear night march system as well

Concerning the KMT. Yes, thats another version, but I mainly took those pics because of the wiring. Thats the same. And here the problem with SKIf begins......no wiring and no clear instructions.......

Glad those pics are helpfull.

Best regards,

Andy T.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Andy!

Thanks for sharing your photos!

That mineplough would be a serious scratch-challenge..
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hi Andy,

absolutely right: those are the mentioned wheel chocks Great thing! Only NVA tanks had these details.

And with the KMT: the wires could be the same, thats true. And of course I thank u a lot for the detailed pics! Such rare stuff's always helping us modellers I guess

Just another question: do they also have engineer vehicles and/or artillery tractors like BAT or AT-T ?

Greets,
Marian
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 08:33 AM UTC
Hey Marian!

Alright, on our next visit I will keep my eyes open for the requested details, no problem.

Unfortunately they have no russian engeneering vehicles or tractors. Only "western-style".

Russian vehicles they have are the following ones:

One T-72 with KMT in very good condition.
One destroyed T-72

Both with later style roadwheels.......to be honest, it was kind of a surprise for me to see them mounted. Where those roadwheels common on such "early" T-72´s in the NVA??

One T-55AM2B "Hammer" in very good condition. BUT, the system to fire/launch the 9M117"Bastion" rocket was removed when NVA dissolved. Privacy?

One BMP-1. very good condition, unfortunately engine strikes.
One BMP-2, very good condition.
One BTR-70, very good condition, still with NVA markings.
4-5 T-34/85 all with different turrets, roadwheels and other details. Mostly in good condition.

And this one here........I lack of a designation for it:

And right now they are very proud to present a Hetzer......well originally it´s a G-13 from switzerland. Then, from the czech-republic, an OT-810, in fact a postwar Sdkfz.251.

The rest of the collection are "western" vehicles/tanks/guns/engeneering vehicles.

Best regards (Schöne Grüße )

Andy T.

P.s.: If you like, I could make a "walkaround" of the T-55 and send you a CD. No problem at all, as I would make those pics anyway.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:39 AM UTC
A pm is waiting in ur mailbox
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 01:52 PM UTC
More shots of the T-72's turret. Especially the rear, overall shots describing the shape of the trailing edge.
 _GOTOTOP