_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question on WWII whitewash
wanagun
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 01:15 PM UTC
I am getting ready to start a M8 and I want to make this in winter camo. How was the whitwash applied to US cars and other counties? I have noticed that all whitewashed winter camo tanks and cars done in 1/35th scale seem to have a smooth finsh like it was done in a factory. I would assume that must of the whitewash (US German and Russian) should be brush painted on. My guess would be it was applied with a mop, rags or brushes. Should we be brushing the white paint on or spraying it?
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 400 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 02:44 AM UTC
Well the US Stuff was Lime and water for a real old fashion Whitewash like in Tom Sawyer. It was usually applied with Brush, Broom or Mop. Sometimes it was splashed on as well (GI's being what they are found the easy way if not the proper way sometimes). I use ground up pastel White mixed with water and it works great and lets you weather and wear it properly.
HTH
Jeff
wanagun
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 05:43 AM UTC
Sounds like to me we should see a very un-uniform white finish then. Probably with brush marks in it. Anyone have any ideals how the GErman or Russians applied theirs?
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Just been looking at Steve Zalogas Battle of the Bulge book, photo's of crew men putting it on with buckets and mops and one of a M8 that could only be described as seriously lived in.I think the germans did the same no masterpieces.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:42 PM UTC
Gday Scott
As mentioned, mops buckets and brushes were used as improvisation. There was some spraygun application from some engineers units, but this would be a small percentage methinks... So the all over smooth finish would be less plentiful as it appears in modelling circles. The best way is to think like a 1/35 scale soldier and apply the whitewash at that scale Lime would show some rust streaks after time to add some more variety and as Jeff said white pastel works a treat, and is favourable for 'experimentation'... Try a flat brush application with pastel grounded and wetted with water. Let the whole thing dry haphazardly, and then remove areas of wear with a clean dry brush. Continue this process until it looks effective enough for you. Simmer for 10 min, stirring occasionally...
 _GOTOTOP