_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
improvements to the tamiya cromwell
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hi

I'm thinking about do a tamiya cromwell. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or spots to watch out for.

Thanks

Jeff
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
Jeff
I've had that kit in my hands the last two times I've been at the hobby shop. I'm real interested to see if anyone else here has built it.
Chuck
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:57 PM UTC
I've got the Centaur which is the assault gun variant but otherwise the same kit. It has to be the best WW2 British kit ever made. No, make that the best British armor kit ever. Mine is beautiful. Only fault with it is that the engine grill PE set is sold separately by Tamiya instead of being included.
chipotle
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 06:38 PM UTC
I have recently completed one the only problem i had was i snapped both of the headlight guards getting them of the sprue. This was probably due to me being hamfisted and working in a cold room but it may be worth taking extra care with them. Other than that i enjoyed making it..
Bravo21
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:33 PM UTC
The only things I added to my Cromwell were a set of Modelkasten tracks and the Tamiya etched metal screens. It's an awesome kit and highly reccomended. Buy it, build it, love it.
KATY
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hello,
I have built six so far, mix of Cromwells and Centaurs. Also used Accurate-Armour for 20mm AA, up-armoured Cromwell, ARV, and full engine deck (choice of C/D) I also changed it to up-armoured with welded hull and Vauxhall hatch. I might get another to make a Centaur dozer. Cromwell and Centaur are great kits. Full interiors would be nice, if anybody makes one.
Cheers
Kevin
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC
Loved my Centaur kit ..(decals were a pain ) and I've got my cromwell in line for a future build ....the only thing I would say that has to be added is the wiring for the small lights on the front ..the wiring for the search light on the side of the turret and add the supports for the tow cables...other than that have fun ...oh yeah that star decal on the roof is a doosy!! get out your bottle of solveset!!...

Rick
PhilipBBT
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
While the Cromwell is a superb model, Tamiya based it on a 'C' Type hull so they could use it for the Centaur. However most Cromwell tanks had the lader 'D' Type hull with different engine deck. It is not difficult to re-scribe the panel lines and add the new lifting handles using brass wire.

_GOTOTOP