_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Centurion
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 02:15 AM UTC
A friend sold me an unopened tamiya centurion for 10 bucks, someone told him he had to empty out his closet. .

Anyways tought luck for him good luck for me. It looks like a pretty good model despite being a couple decades old. I was thinking of building a korean war mrk for the 'cold war campaign' . Before I get too far into building (like starting), has anyone built this tank before? Is their any necessary upgrades?

Thanks

Jeff
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 02:37 AM UTC
I just posted about this tank a few days ago, Centurion Tank After Market Parts. I'm planning to do mine as a NATO based one. I have an old wired remote controlled one that I built over 20 years ago. First thing I noticed was that the tracks are more akin to its days as a motorized toy. I ordered a set of Fruil tracks for it, found a Barrel Depot tube and scored an Eduard PE set for the kit at a bargin price. After looking at the sprues and my old built up one, I'm glad I got the PE set for it since a lot of the detail is quite heavy handed since it was originally designed to be motorized and had to survive constant handling.
windage
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 06:04 AM UTC
Ahhh the old cranky Cent, I drove one with B Sqn , 1st Armoured Regt in Australia.
I have a kit made years back, and did a huge amount of scratch build on it. When I learn I will post photos.
NOW the Centurion has been re -released by Tamiya, I intend to do a Cent based out of Vietnam. Not many people knew they were there, cept for the idiots in pill boxes or down holes, where the Cent fired "canister rounds"with devistating effect.
They were very handy for the foot sloggers.
I will send if you like some pics of Vietnam era Centurions.
Tis a pity they {Tamiya} have not updated the kit, but it does leave scope for after market bits and scratch build......hey let me know if you need hints , pics, etc,
I have not built an armour kit for many years, so I can use all the advice I can.....things like companies that sell bits for Tanks, AFV's etc, I know them all for aircraft but not armour.
cheers
"sabot...tank on"
windage
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:39 AM UTC
FYI, I just picked up the new Osprey Vanguard Centurion Universal Tank book. Nice reference for my build.
 _GOTOTOP