_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chinese KMT Pzkfw 1 tanks-A or B?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 02:31 PM UTC
My Osprey book about armor in the Pacific region during WW2 says on one page that the Chinese Nationalists had ten Pzkfw 1 ausf. A tanks from Germany, but other pages say it is the B version. Yet a drawing of a sample tank depicts one with an obvious A version suspension. So I take it that the A version description is the correct one?
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 07:42 PM UTC
I have seen a picture of a chinese Pz. I ausf. A on this site although I cannot find it anymore. So yes, the Chinese Pz. I would have been the A version.
lquah
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 01:45 AM UTC
Tom

Only PzKpfw I Ausf A's were sold to China and all photos I have seen of Chinese PzKpfw I's are Ausf A's.

Lawrence
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 05:39 AM UTC
Thanks, I figured as such, but confirmation doesn't hurt.

In fact, the DML Pzkpfw 1 that I have now I was originally planning to use in German service, but I find the idea of using that tank in Chinese service far more intriguing!

If only now I can learn where to obtain a KMT tanker figure, as well as figure out how to buy or create the sunburst markings...
lquah
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, I figured as such, but confirmation doesn't hurt.

In fact, the DML Pzkpfw 1 that I have now I was originally planning to use in German service, but I find the idea of using that tank in Chinese service far more intriguing!

If only now I can learn where to obtain a KMT tanker figure, as well as figure out how to buy or create the sunburst markings...

Tom

Warrior makes the figures you need
Early War Chinese Tankers

Bison Decals have the decals for a Chinese PzKpfw I
Bison Decals

I am however not convinced that they were painted in 3 tone camo.

Have a look at this excellent build of a Chinese PzKpfw I Ausf A by Paul Abbott. There's some good pics there and discussion on the paint scheme.
Paul Abbot's Chinese PzKpfw I Ausf A

Have fun in your build

Lawrence
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 03:48 PM UTC
Thank you so much!

Actually, I assumed the tank would be solid grey, and the 3-tone was German use only. Don't worry, I've painted nothing yet.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Ok, I realise I might be making a stupid comment by saying this,
but surely China was fighting against Japan, Germany's allies, and so why exactly would Germany supply them with tanks?

Cheers,

James
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
Or where the Chinese nationalists fighting as Japans allies?

James
lquah
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 04:59 AM UTC
James

The Second Sino Japanese War was fought between the KMT and Japan. China at that time loosely ruled by the KMT and independent warlords.

China's relations with Germany had been a "love-hate" relationship. China actually declared war against Germany in 1917. Relations with China did not improve significantly until the Nazi Party came into power in 1933and Germany looked to China as an important source of raw materials for their military expansion. As part of the deal, Germany would provide assistance in China's economic and military development.

However, this co-operation did not last long and ended with the outbreak of the Second Sino Japanese War when Japan launched a full scale war against China. Hitler had chosen Japan to be their ally in their fight against Bolshevism and that obviously didn't sit too well with the Chinese.

More in-depth information can be found here
Sino-German cooperation

Second Sino-Japanese War

Lawrence
telsono
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 06:14 AM UTC
Interestingly, some of the Chinese Nationalist pilots took advanced fighter pilot training in Germany. One of those was was "Art" Chin, an American born Chinese pilot who obtained 'ace' status flying primarily Gloster Gladiators before the AVG was formed.

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/china_chin.htm

Mike T.
 _GOTOTOP