Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter "Sturer Emil"
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 02:04 AM UTC
Just received the Trumpeter 12.8cm Selbstfahrlafette L/61 "Sturer Emil" in the mail today. Looks mighty fine in the box.

Any experiences with the kit to share?

A dedicated armour modeller in the club I am a member of has built the 1:35 kit of the "Sturer Emil" and reckons it was a fine build. I am hoping the 1:72 kit is as good a build.

cheers

Mike
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hello Mike

I had no trouble building mine, everything went together nicely.

sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 09:46 PM UTC
Looks rather nice!

It is on the workbench ready to build next up. Already got a base in mind for it as well. I will start shortly in between an Monogram F7F Tigercat build.

This is one of the kits my wife got me as a birtthday present, so I want it on the shelf ASAP.

She also picked me up a 1:48 Hobbyboss T-34/85, Tamiya Cromwell MkIV and a Tamiya Wirbelwind.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 02:41 AM UTC
I have made a start on this little PanzerJager and so far everything is going together nicely.

Mould part lines are the biggest offender, plus the fighting compartment side armour had a long sink mark vertically down each side, which needed treatment.

The 128mm gun itself is a treat and will look great once completed. I will get some pics posted as soon as I can shoot them.

cheers

Mike
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hi Michael. I have heard nothing but good things about this kit. Trumpeter have let their rep slide a bit, with their flash and sink marks, but otherwise this is supposed to build up very nicely. A little extra effort will pay high reward! Lionmarc makes rather nice indy clickable links for this. I have tried one set of Trumpeters vinyl tracks and did not like them .. all the old issues with Italeri tracks.
See review of this kit on PMMS
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the link. Terry is a nice bloke and lives locally. Are the indy tracks for 1:72 or 1:35 though?

One of our club members built the 1:35 scale release and I was very impressed by it.

cheers

Mike
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:29 AM UTC
Well here is the first of the progress pics.

Vallejo paint was used over a base of Tamiya flat black TS spraycan paint which provides an excellent foundation for subsequent paintwork.

So, German grey, dry brushed with dark grey and finally a light dry brushing over edges and raised details with Humbrol polished steel.

I still have to undertake further messing up of the floor boards which were wood overpainted in Panzer grey.

So far so good.

thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 03:05 AM UTC
Looking good so far Mike!
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 04:32 PM UTC
I will get some more pics up soon.

Started weathering the lower chassis and begun to attach the road wheels. The tacks are gong to prove interesting. Also drilled some thin wire holes to add track sag as well.

The pastel/artists turps method has worked well around the track gear.
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 06:45 PM UTC
Tracks were a major issue but are on. Typically with rubber band type tracks, some of the paint sloughed/flaked off. I will have to repaint sections. Dragon's new DS tracks are far superior.

For those intending to build this little 1:72 Emil, the tracks as supplied are too long and it is best to cut the join sections off, then using needle/thread to fasten each end. This results in a tighter, cleaner run. The holed drilled make the track have too much sag So I will either re-drill or forget about it.

I will have some pics up as soon as I can set up my camera corner.
 _GOTOTOP