_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
CMK T-72 detail set...what to do with it?
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hey all,

I had picked up CMK's update set for the taymia T-72. I am not some huge russian armor expert, but would like to use this set and make a accurate T-72 of some kind, preferably with what is in the taymia kit, but if I need to get a turret, im game.

Any good pictures of a Czech T-72? (the fuel drums in the detail set have czech markings)

Thanks
Andy
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hi there,

do you know perhaps for what kind of Czech T-72 the CMK kit was meant?
The Czech ones are not really much different from the Russian ones, until they started with the M4 series.

Cheers,

Matthijs

smciver121
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 03:31 AM UTC
There is a super book all about the T-72M and T-72M1... I have it at home and am brain farting on the exact name. However I think it is published by wings and wheels.
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is a super book all about the T-72M and T-72M1... I have it at home and am brain farting on the exact name. However I think it is published by wings and wheels.

You absolutely correct. The Wings and Wheels Productions book on the T-72 is like the bible on the tank. Its expensive but well worth it if you are into detail photos and super detailing a model. Great book!
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC
I'd get another turret for sure. Either the Blast models one, or the JS models one, both are good. The Tamiya turret is misshaped. JS models is available here:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/martti.kuivalainen/engindex.html
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 07:53 AM UTC
Andy, This is a nice set. It's one of my current projects using the kit's turret and Eduard P/E set with some Fruil tracks. I just reworked the turret shape - after you add the Tucha smoke tubes and CMK bins its hard to see the exact shape. I would stay away from the Eduard barrel and go for the Modelpoint ones....

You could also model it as Polish or get the SP designs front glacis w/o applique, or just get craZy and grind it off.

I wouldn't say the Wings and Wheels publications aare the Bible of T72s - It is good, but nothing like the Tankmaster edition (In Russian )

Chris -- Who just had a baby boy yesterday!

_GOTOTOP