_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
KV series Road Wheels Question
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 04:37 AM UTC
Greetings fellow modellers,

I am currently building the Trumpeter's captured KV-2 and I need guidance about the roadwheels. Do the KV series tank wheels have a very thin band of rubber around them or are they all steel with no rubber? I can't really figure out from the photos, it looks like there's a very thin band and it looks darker. Checking out builds from other modellers, I found out most of them skipped the issue... Help please?
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
Emre,
They are steel with ruberized inserts around the hub. You cannot see them unless the outer portion is removed.

HTH
Chris
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:03 AM UTC
So it will be correct to paint just the outer circumference of the wheels black? Without any paint touching to the front of the wheel?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So it will be correct to paint just the outer circumference of the wheels black? Without any paint touching to the front of the wheel?

No. The rims are steel. There are rubber O-rings concealed inside the wheel hubs that are not visible from the outside. The rims will be polished by direct contact with the tracks, and will be a dusty steel color.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 07:09 PM UTC
I did my KV-1 wheels with a carpenter's pencil, the wide kind. Just color all the rims with the pencil and you get a very good looking steel wheel.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:33 PM UTC
oK, now I understood properly, I will be leaving them in their Dark Yellow color, some polished steel effect might look good as stated.

Thanks everyone!
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I did my KV-1 wheels with a carpenter's pencil, the wide kind. Just color all the rims with the pencil and you get a very good looking steel wheel.

Thanks for the tip. I an just to the initial finish stage of my KV-1 and wa wondering how to finish the road wheels.

_GOTOTOP