Hosted by Darren Baker
Ripples Technique
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 06:25 AM UTC
I was just re-reading Shep Paines diorama building book 2nd ed. and ran across something on water techniques on page 22.

He built a diorama of downed aircraft on the water surface. He poured two layers of resin for the water. The 1st was normal. The second one he took a large piece of kitchen foil and added some crinkels to it and then pressed it into the wet 2nd layer. He let it dry then peeled back the foil leaving a rippled uneven wind blown surface. Shazam

Has anyone ever tried this technique before?

It pays to re-read material.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:27 PM UTC
I have thought about trying that but wasnt to sure how it would turn out. I was worried about the foil sticking to the resin. Thanks for sharing this may try a small area and see how it turns out.

Keenan
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:50 PM UTC
I've used foil on resin before in my sparrow project and it comes right off without any type of grease or anything. I was pleased how it made my wave base so I think it will work on a flat surface.

Do tell us how it works when you try it. I'll do the same.
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:28 PM UTC
cool idea, I've been thinking of doing a water dio for a while now hmmmmm.... you've inspired me!
TankTrap
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 403 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 09:05 PM UTC
Cool always wondered how they did it.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hey Scott,

Jean-Bernard's got a nice technique, albeit for breakers, which he covers on page 8 of Koktebel

Slightly OT, but have you seen there's a new book on the life and works of Shep Paine due in the Fall? Check it out here

Rudi
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:14 AM UTC
Rudi - thanks for the reminder on JB's feature. I read it - I think its required reading for all diorama builders.

JB's method is what I call 'Inverted' where you mold the water upside down and then flip it over at assembly.
The one Shep did was 'natural' the foil or mold was on top of the water, that's what got my attention.

Summer can't end soon enough - comeon' Fall.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC
Sorry to come after the battle on this discussion.
I perfectly see which Shep Paine's diorama you are mentioning and the technique for ripples he uses and erm, it doesn't look anything like the real thing!
here is the sea:
this is an image taken at random on Google, see what i mean? the ripples are smooth, they don't make the straight angles of crumpled aluminium foil. There's is also more randomness in the shape and direction of waves than you could ever obtain with aluminium foil, not even to mention that you can't create any direction of wind or anything like that -i have an enormous respect for Shep Paine's work, he paved my way, but that particular trick i don't consider as being valuable.
Now my "inverted water" (thanks Scott!) tricks works well because I didn't embedded anything in the water, there is no way anybody can do a D-day diorama using this. But when it comes to ripples there has to be another way, more realistic than the aluminium trick..

BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 04:10 PM UTC
I have personally seen the foil trick used and it is fantastic! I know that (as Shep points out in the text) the foil is not very wrinkled and you can paint on another thin coat of resin to soften the waves - remember that resin will seek to level itself out and much of the detail will be soft - perfect for water! I spent enough time on the ocean to be very familiar with it's varied appearences.
 _GOTOTOP