Hosted by Darren Baker
Destroyed house and Stug
gsmith
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 09:55 AM UTC
Hello, i'm new to the forum stuff, and wanted to show off a bit of work and allow some friendly criticism. I know the street needs more rubble, and the dirt would mostly have fallen off but these two were really not meant to go together originally, but sometimes you have two pieces alone and they just fall together, interested in all comments.
Thanks,
Gary
http://www.smithmilitarymodeling.com
[email protected]

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC
You are into weathering your vehicles for sure. It looks like real metal. And I agree regarding the mud on the tracks and on the spare road wheels on the back for this setting.
The building looks well built and painted, esp. the wall paper inside, looks real. Is the building scratch built?

gsmith
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 01:12 PM UTC
well, yes and no, i build and sell resin diorama pieces either as kits or as modular pieces, so this is scratch built and i have molds for each piece as well as many others. thanks for the compliments i love the destroyed backgrounds most people now days overlook...

thanks again,
Gary
http://www.smithmilitarymodeling.com
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 01:13 PM UTC
Tons of potential, you show a great knack for detailing AFVs.
The mud on the tracks is really nicely done, it really fits the scene. Its a light enough color to show the mud was 1-2K away and is drying as they go.
The street has tons of variation which I like a lot. Along with the rubbel that is there. Its nice.

If I were to do anything I would do is to add more inside the building, window frame, move the door closer to the frame, a few beams that have fallen. I like a figure or some type of life in a diorama, maybe a bird or rodent scurring around trying to fend for a scarce meal.

So - is the groundwork kit 49? I looked at your web site the other day and like what I saw. Now that I see more of one (assuming it is one). You really need to show these off with a bit of paint on them. The photos of the bare kits are nice, but if you really want to sell them show them with paint. I will sooo consider your stuff next go round.
gsmith
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 01:35 PM UTC
i agree i'm really working on painted samples of each item, as well as more built pieces to show them in use, thanks so much for the compliments i will try to keep putting out work that will be liked, and i'm hoping to add many items monthly.. if you want go back to the site and sign up, i will be putting out an update newsletter that will also usually include coupons....glad you like the stuff so far,
thanks again,
Gary
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 02:33 PM UTC
I signed up when I checked to see if the kit was in the catalog and got the Kit#
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 02:46 PM UTC
Lots of potential, and the individual pieces are finished to a high standard. But, as mentioned, there is a need for much more rubble, and the Stug has winterketten, which would be used on the Ostfront, in the snow and quagmire as found there.
This looks just to clean and clinical. I.E. unfinished. So while your pieces are very good individually, they cerainly don't "fall together".

Is that door from the MiniArt set?

Good start, please show us your progress

Cheers
Henk
gsmith
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 02:57 PM UTC
wow, good eye.
I had it left over from the Italian house kit I believe, it was laying there one day so i threw it on.

the look i was after on the Stug was the muddy end of winter i found some actual pics of them with the tracks and no whitewash so i thought it may be a different idea to try.....
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 07:22 PM UTC
To help tie the Stug into the dio try having a trail of mud behind the Stug. This will give the impression that it has just left a muddy area and the mud is falling of as it drives.
Robbo
gsmith
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC
I think i may try the mud on the street, i needed to add more to the ground work, rubble, mud etc. the trail would be a great addition to that, thanks for the suggestion...
Gary
chachi3101
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 08:23 AM UTC
hey
the dio looks good and the building is excellant. I would have added more props to the street to fill some empty spaces. overall very nice.
petros
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 09:02 AM UTC
a lot of dead space - especially inside the house
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 09:24 AM UTC
This is a good looking dio, that has nice porportions, and balanced layout.

One comment/question however, (and with no intent of being abrasive), but its the bare metal look of the Stug. Doesn't bare metal rust fairly quickly out in the elements--and granted there is rust on the Stug,--- but the bare metal look on the top of the main gun tube & the edges of the top decks---would this much bare metal show on an operating piece of armor in combat? Perhaps its the pic lighting but its almost appears to be absent of paint.

Again, not being a stinker here, this is a wonderful rendition of a damaged building, rubble/street, and solid build on the Stug----just the comment on the paint/weathering.

Congrats on a well thought out build here.

Steve

gsmith
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 03:50 PM UTC
Hey Steve, no need to worry, i take no offense at helpful comments. i appreciate any and all replies, and any comment is meant to help not offend. I admit some of the problem such as the glare on the very top is lighting, but much is weathering. the bare metal was to suggest rough ongoing combat and wear, maybe a bit much steel showing without rust kinda hard to judge sometimes you see so many tanks with the corners steel showing without rust so kinda the same deal they would rust fast too. on my next one i'll try it with less bare metal. but i would also like to thank you for the compliments as well as the criticism it all helps me become better,

Thank you,
Gary
rotATOR
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 04:08 PM UTC
youre on the right track but IMO opinion it would look much better with some troops/crew members in the scene...I would also put the whole thing on a thick wooden base ..your weathering looks killer,too...good work keep it going..rR
gsmith
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 05:19 AM UTC
Thanks Mike,
I agree completly, i need to do some figures, i spend so much time getting my buildings the way i want them that i lose track of the people that should be there, i have the dragon set of the Red Devils they look like their taking cover and about to shoot a tank, whats your opinion on adding those along with some more rubble?

thanks again,
gary
 _GOTOTOP