_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Modern Russian Artillery
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 215 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 08:53 PM UTC
good day all!

i would just like to ask the more familiar russian armour modelers on board if there is a modern russian self-propelled artillery kit out there.. something in the lines of the german pzh2000, british AS-90 and the US M109A6 paladin... an artillery vehicle that would go well with the T90 era or even the T72...

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks all!
armyguardian
Visit this Community
Hainaut, Belgium
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 09:24 PM UTC
skif model have the 2S1, trumpeter have the 2S3
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 09:35 PM UTC
thanks armyguardian!

are those in 1/35 scale? which one of the 2 is the latest?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 02:05 AM UTC
They are in 1/35. Neither is on par with the M109A6 Paladin or the others you listed. They are old Cold Warriors. The 2S1 is only 122mm as well. The newest 152mm Soviet/Russian SP Arty that is equivalent to western pieces is the 2S19. ICM and others have announced a kit for it, but nothing has materialized yet.

arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 03:15 AM UTC
i sure hope ICM pushes thru with their plans with that gino.. might be worth the wait..

im also pinning hopes on a kit manufacturer to come out with these 2 arty pieces..

the 1st one is an IDF sholef, if im not mistaken.. just got it somewhere on the net.. the 2nd one is a jap type 75.. im hoping tamiya makes them especially the 2nd one since their a jap company and all.. and the type 75 might look good with the type 90 MBT..
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hy!

Very interesting pic of that israeli art.system.

But hell, is the first roadwheel on the right side a russian "spider wheel"??????!!!

Surely interesting how that could happen........If I'am right with my identification??

By the way: The 2S19 MSTA and the 155mm Himalaya should both be available early 2008 from Panzershop.

Best regards,

Andy T.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC
First off, the Trumpeter Chinese SPG kit is NOT a 2S3. It is a Chinese indigenous SPG based in part on knowledge from the 2S3. We had all HOPED it would be one, but no. It is a nice kit to build though.

The 2S1 is done by SKIF. It is older, but still in service. The 2S1M is the most current version. With new tracks, new turret, model point barrel, Eduard PE, and some scratchbuilt details, it comes out decent.

The D-30M, a towed version of the 2S1, is done by SKIF. Basic kit as well.

2S3 - noone has done one yet.

2S5 - Noone has done.

2S7- Done by Panzershop, this is the big 203mm. Will put you back $300-$350.

2S9 - Light weight 120mm artillery gun/mortar for Airborne units done by Eastern Express and more recently repopped by Alanger.

2S19 - Most Modern Russian Artillery. Noone has done a kit. ICM has had it listed in the past but nothing has ever surfaced. Panzershop threatens a expensive kit.

2S4 - Massive SPG Mortar. Threatened by Panzershop

DANA - 152mm Wheeled SPG. Made by the Czech's and some are used by the Russians.

2S23 - BTR-80 based 120mm gun/mortar Wheeled SPG. Made by SP Designs and Capitan (are they even still in business?)

Rocket Artillery is something that the Russian's are also passionate about. ICM (and under other labels) does a BM24 MLRS.

The Smerch is a very modern MLRS based loosly on the same MAZ chassis as the SCUD-B. Noone has done this kit.

SP Designs also has a large number of MT-LBu based kits that are command, control, and aquisition vehicles with the artillery, like the Zoopark-1 Battelfield Radar, the 1V13 series of Artillery command and control vehicles, etc...

Russian srtillery philosophy is quite a bit different than Western Armies, so to try to get a exact "equivalent" is a bit of a misnomer...the Russian's are "tube heavy". They not only have larger organic mortar sections for their Infantry and Tank units, but they also believe in more overlap resulting in 4 main SPG tube types in service at the same time: 120mm, 122mm, 152mm and 203mm. For the same time period, for example, the US had 155mm and 203mm. Now it is only 155mm as a SPG. (Damned shame too!)

NOW...

If you want comparable artillery to go with a T-72, just build the SKIF 2S1. If you want to do a IDF/OIF setup, the 2S1 is an even better call since it was the main artillery piece of the Iraqi Army.

Also, right now T-72's are still in what was considered Catagory B units. These are primarily supported by similarly older artillery...2S1 and 2S3. Since there is no 2S3 for the 152mm "equivalent" to the 155mm M109A6 Paladin, this is your best bet.
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very interesting pic of that israeli art.system.

if im not mistaken, its an arty piece mounted on a merkava chasis.. the article i read said it has the "capability" to launch nuclear rounds and shoot while on the run.. but for some reason, the IDF didnt continue to develop it.. maybe because they didnt want to "invest" or develop nuclear weapons.. but standard rounds would still be good.. it sure would make a nice model kit too..
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 06:52 PM UTC
thanks for giving me a crash course in russian artillery recognition jacques! appreciate the info!

the 2S1 would go well with the T72.. but what would go well with the T90? kinda like the relationship between the german leopard 2A6 and the panzerhaubitze2000? is there any kit in existence that would "compliment" a T90? aside from the pending ICM one of course...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:48 AM UTC
The Isreali system may also have been "killed" due to political or financial reasons as well.

As for the T-90 artillery support, well, you are more likely to see a 2S19 from Panzershop than a injection molded one. And PS will probably not come out with it until mid-late 2008. That would be the most modern Russian in-service SPG with the most current Russian MBT. But I do not know off hand what the TO&E is for the 2nd and 4th Guards Regiments (they have the ~200 T-90's in service). My guess is 2S19's, but they could have 2S1's as well....and at this point it is the only real kit available.

You may want to switch to a Tank and a APC...then you could have the T-90 and the BMP-3.
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 03:04 AM UTC
i should have thought of that earlier jaques.. but i already have 5 pairs at hand and the idea of the look of different artillery units just intrigued me...

i already have..
US- M1A2 Abrams & M109A6 Paladin
Germany- leopard 2A6 & Panzerhaubitze 2000
British- Challenger 2 & AS-90
French- Leclerc & AMX 30 AUF1
China- Type 98 MBT & Type 83 SPH

i was really interested in adding russian armor to my collection and i wondered what arty unit would fit the T90 before i buy the miniarm conversion..

but adding APC's to that list would also be nice.. just gotta grab some bradleys, warriors and marders for starters..

boy, modern russian armor sure is hard to come by these days.. specially in injection... the miniarm T90 conversion alone costs a lot.. guess i gotta save up for more with the Panzershop 2S19.. or i can just grab a T72 and an IS1 kit while waiting for the 2S19..

thanks again for the info jacques! by the way, what kit manufacturer makes an accurate BMP-3 kit?
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 06:44 PM UTC
Trumpeter is about to release two BMP-3 kits, actually Stevens International promised it to be on sale in July, but pictures of test shots provoked mixed reaction in many modeling communities and it's is believed Trumpeter went back to CAD to revise some things. Now about arty. Russian Army is financing development of Koalitzcia-SV system, that will be a support apart from BMPT to whatever will become RA's MBT be it crappy T-90 (doubtful, since new T-72 BM2 Rogatka is simply better) or T-95 or one of Omsk Projects (They got to be morons to let UralMash swallow OMSK design bureau and hold monopoly in heavy armor). Koalitzia will share many parts with 2S19 but will have redesigned artillery piece and electronics. And no, there is no replica either in plastic or resin.
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:22 PM UTC
^^ holy crap! that is one mean looking piece of machinery right there.. is it already being used in the russian army or still a prototype?
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 02:12 AM UTC
heads up comrades!

a dude from russia already got his hands on the Panzershop 155mm Himalaya SPG..

check it out!

guess we now have to fall in line..
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 02:30 AM UTC
Koalition (Double 152mm barreled SPG) is preparing to be serial built. It is based on T-95 components. We shall see if it really comes out. Very neat idea though, and a model kit would be outstanding.

The Himalaya is the turret from the wheeled DANA SPG on modified T-72 chassis. It is a prototype only, non have been procurred. The Czech Army decided on a modernized DANA instead and no orders for the Himilaya have come in yet.

So technically, neither would go with a T-90.
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 06:20 PM UTC
oh i see.. thanks for the info jacques..

regarding the double barreled SPG, would you know how it works? i mean, does it fire at the same time or sequentially?

coz if it fires at the same time towards a relatively same target spot, then that leaves aboslutely no survivors.. if there are on the 1st one, that is.. i mean, your spot gets hit on the 1st try, then you only have seconds to "move" before the second one comes along.. pretty neat..
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 06:23 PM UTC
Works both ways. It was tested to fire laser guided AT round from one barrel followed immediately by HE to cut off infantry support
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
It is meant to be able to fire double the rate of a regular SPG, so they are sequentially fired, not simultanious. Also, the arrangement has some benefits in one barrel cancelling the recoil of the other in "rapid fire" mode apparently.

As for other "tricks" of a double barreled arty piece, we will have to see it in use!

_GOTOTOP