_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
UN Warrior Stowage
marevic1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi guys,

wondering if someone could help me. I'm currently building an MCV Warrior (Academy) and am thinking of making it a UN vehicle from the BALKANs. Not sure if I'll paint it UN White or the more common green/black scheme yet.

My question relates to stowage on these vehicles. What sort of gear did they store in the stowage bins, and in particular, the turret one?
My references really don't show much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Jurgen.
colin-rlc
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi Jurgen, that's something on my 'to do when I have the time' list as well..!! Get your hands on a copy of Simon Dunstan's book 'Warrior Company' (Europa Militaria No. 25), it should have more than enough info for you. ISBN 1-86126-191-8 for easy reference to order through Library or bookstore.

Colin.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 05:48 AM UTC
If it is a UN Warrior then it would be white.

If it is a NATO Warrior with IFOR or SFOR then it would be the green/black scheme.

Do a search on Google, or Getty Images, or Corbis.com for images of the Warrior in Bosnia...try using "UN Warrior" or "UNPROFOR" or "UN Bosnia" as search words.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 06:28 AM UTC
Warriors in Bosnia were not kitted out to the same degree as the vehicles that were sent to the gulf. Typically they didn't operate with a full complement of infantry in the back, usually having the crew of 3 and 2 top cover guys using the hatches in the roof. Because of this there was plenty of room inside to stow their kit and so weren't seen as "Jed Clampets caravan" usually. As UNPROFOR we usually operated from major camps and patrol bases and withdrew to these on a night and so didn't have to be kitted up for long periods in the bondu. This isn't to say that it didn't happen at times, however usually later in the conflict such as when we operated on Mount Igman. From memory I'd say that the turret baskets would have held daysacks for the turret crew with their webbing fastened over the backs of their hatches. the usual drum of oil was stored in the position in the glacis chobham armour.
marevic1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:51 AM UTC
many thanks guys

Jurgen.
 _GOTOTOP