Hosted by Darren Baker
popularity
TB2
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 361 posts
Armorama: 279 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 01:50 AM UTC
Who seems to have started the recent(?) trend of 1/48 scale armour and why do you think it's so popular today?
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 02:52 AM UTC
I'd say Tamiya and their numerous releases in this scale as of late has pushed 1/48 armor back into the limelight.

As to why it's getting popular, I'd say multiple reasons:
* The ground vehicles work well for 1/48 dios with aircraft.
* Quicker builds.
* For some, adding aftermarket may be easier than dealing with very tiny 1/72 stuff.
* Shelf space.

- Frank
spitfiresteve
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:50 PM UTC
Good question that, I started in this scale, for several reasons.
1. Space, I have very little display space available at home and can fit in about 3 48th scale to each 35th scale.
2. Speed , if I want to just do a quick build, OOB. with very reasonable results, I'll just open a HobbyBoss Sherman or T-34.
3. The challenge of finding British accessories, figures and markings in this scale, has been fun, once more manufacturers switch on to this scale, they will be readily available, but right now scouring the world for turret bins, decals etc gives me something to do into the wee small hours.
4. I'm enjoying my modelling again, rather than feeling I have to add every PE, Resin, turned barrel etc in order to make a competition winner, which is what it was turning into.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:57 PM UTC
Can't really say who 'started' it. Tamiya has definitely spurred it along a lot.

I like it because (as stated) it works with aircraft kits. The end result takes up less space to display. Plus, it's another 'new' kit to include if you collect or like building every variant of a give subject. I think it's great to have a line of the same subject in different scales. The size of the subject leaves a lot of room for detail in a small package
 _GOTOTOP