_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Paper flags
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 05:20 AM UTC
HI all,

I have aquired some paper flags in 1/35 has anyone got any suggestions how I can make them look more life like?

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC
Apply a light coat of thinned white glue, such as Elmer's, to one side. Allow this to soak in and soften the paper. Gently make furls. Allow the glue to dry. You may add highlights and shadows in your preferred method.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
I find the paper flags too stiff to be realistic so I re-printed them on artist's tracing paper. This tracing paper is too thin for the printer and will crumple and jam the machine so I taped it to a sheet of regular printing paper. The result is paper flags on paper which is durable yet thin enough to soak and wrinkle for whatever purposes. This also works great for printing maps, newspapers, etc. where you want a scale paper thickness.
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find the paper flags too stiff to be realistic so I re-printed them on artist's tracing paper. This tracing paper is too thin for the printer and will crumple and jam the machine so I taped it to a sheet of regular printing paper. The result is paper flags on paper which is durable yet thin enough to soak and wrinkle for whatever purposes. This also works great for printing maps, newspapers, etc. where you want a scale paper thickness.

Hi there. I use the same technique but with tissue paper. It tolerates very well the white glue without tearing apart, and the final result is very convincing.
Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP