Hosted by Darren Baker
sea foam, where to find
BigCheese
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 07:17 AM UTC
Anyone in the U.S. know of a supply source for sea foam? I have been all over the web looking for modeling suppliers and haven't found any.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 07:46 AM UTC
Are you talking about blue or pink dow insulation? Is so, go to home depot, menards or lowes.
Mike
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
I've tried to find a good source for sea foam for a while now. I think I am gonna order seeds next year and try to grow my own. The web site says they ship anywhere in the world, so I guess I'm gonna try my hand at sea foam cultivation next year.

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chilternseeds/pages/moreinfo.asp?pe=DBFBDAAAQ_+teloxys+aristata+sea+foam&cid=211

Patrick
feelpanzer
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 07:48 AM UTC
hello,

have a look at:

www.milminwh.com
have a look under (Accessories & Groundwork) -(joefix-studio)-Leaves (natural) nr jf 903 or bigger packaging nr 905.

www.michtoy.com
have a look under scenic diorama and display products look for joefix-studio nr jfx 903

good luck, modelling greetings

feelpanzer

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 01:00 PM UTC
Scenic express sells it if I remember.

BigCheese
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the input. The guy at Lowes gave me the same look as the owner of a local model railroad shop...sea what??? Never heard of it.

I'll try those sources listed above. Thanks again.
BigCheese
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:38 AM UTC
Just ask for blue or pink dow. It is insulation that is used in housing. It comes in 4' x 8' sections. Sometimes they have small pieces that they give away.
Mike
BigCheese
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:13 PM UTC
I think I have decided to go find a grove of pine trees and look for small starter trees. In the past they have provided some excellent small root systems that have served many of my earlier dioramas and will simply have to be put to use again. Those groves are just a little harder to find in the middle of corn country. Oh, well.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 02:39 PM UTC
If your thinking of going to shop at Mother Nature's store, you may want to keep an eye out for flower stalks of sedges (grasses) found near stream/river edges as they have nice 'branching' effect. You may need the fatten the main stalk though with some putty. Alternatively, frequently trimmed hedges have a lot of branches as well. Flower stalks generally come close but sometimes the branches are too thin. Checking out the local dry flower shop is another alternative.

Roots can be quite variable and you may need to uproot a fair bit before you bump into a suitable one.
EagleSmack
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 228 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 02:00 AM UTC
Another technique that I have seen used is pieces of that two layered sponge. The type that has a regular sponge for one half and the other half is white and a lot more coarse for scrubbing. Modelers making foam have cut the coarser white pieces off and attached/blended them to the ocean surface.
BigCheese
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC
You hit the jackpot, Jeff. After corresponding with a rep from Scenic Express, I found that a detailed description of their Super Tree material is apparently just what I am looking for. It is not specifically "sea foam" , but is the type of material I need for building trees.
Thanks for the lead!
 _GOTOTOP