_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting Bogies/Road Wheels
high510
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
What techniques do you all use to paint the rubber on the road wheels of tracked vehicles? By hand, templates, etc.? TIA
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 09:42 AM UTC
It varies. I tend to do it by hand, usually. If there is a sharp demarcation between the rim and the tire on the kit part, I apply a strong wash of dark gray to the outside of the raised lip and let capillary action take the wash around the tire. The color will concentrate at the rim. Once dry, I can brush the dark gray freehand to cover the rest of the tire and have a neat edge at the rim.
If I plan to paint all the wheels off the tank, I sometimes use a draftsman's circle template. Spray the whole wheel and tire dark gray, then mask the rim with the template and spray the camouflage color on the wheel.
A third shortcut applies to vehicles in muddy conditions (can you say "Eastern Front," boys and girls?). Don't paint the tires at all! Just paint the whole track run and suspension with the local earth color. Add a darker brown wash and dry brush with a lighter tan to bring out the detail. You can texture the mud with acrylic gel medium or Gunze Sangyo Mr. Surfacer, if you like.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:09 AM UTC
I paint it by hand--I hold a round 00 brush loaded with the color of choice (Polly S Scale Black or Tamiya NATO Black) to the rim and then carefully twirl the wheel around. It's not as tidy as using a circle template, but it is faster (at least for me). I will at, some point, try the template method, as well as the wash method mentioned above.

A related question--do folks paint the inside of their roadwheels? If so, what colors?
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
I typically will use a circle template, found at my local hobby and crafts store in the "For Sale Sign" section oddly enough, which has diameters of varying shapes and sizes from very tiny to humongous. Mask off the appropriate circle diameter, mount the wheel on a toothpick with blue tack, paint the wheel using the AB with black first and then use the template to paint the hub. Quick and easy with minimal fuss. I've yet to come across any road wheels that I couldn't use this method on from the tiniest return rollers all the way on up.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC
Low power & low speed minidrill, insert piece of straight sprue,
spin and file to slight cone which fits in axle-hole of wheel.
Find another bit of sprue which is thick enough and redo the
above until satisfied.
Mount wheel on cone, spin at low speed, use thumb of the hand
holding the minidrill (left hand if you use the right hand for holding
the brush) as brake-shoe to reduce speed if needed.
Adjust the wobble until it isn't irritating.
Hold paintbrush in the other hand with small amount of paint,
apply brush to the wheel/"rubber" starting from the running surface
and slowly move the brush inwards towards the edge of the rim.

Experiment with rpm and dilution of paint to get a combination
which works for You.
All 64 "circles" for the road wheels of a Pz IV takes about 10-15
minutes with a little practice.
If paint splatters all over the place or the wheel goes flying off
then the speed is way too high. Too much wobble and/or wheel
falling off is usually caused by a too steep cone, the coning
should be barely visible.
/ Robin
davsam28
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 08:24 AM UTC
i use the royal model wheel templates and you can also find good ones in your art stores too use whatever works for you
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It varies. I tend to do it by hand, usually. If there is a sharp demarcation between the rim and the tire on the kit part, I apply a strong wash of dark gray to the outside of the raised lip and let capillary action take the wash around the tire. The color will concentrate at the rim. Once dry, I can brush the dark gray freehand to cover the rest of the tire and have a neat edge at the rim.
If I plan to paint all the wheels off the tank, I sometimes use a draftsman's circle template. Spray the whole wheel and tire dark gray, then mask the rim with the template and spray the camouflage color on the wheel.
A third shortcut applies to vehicles in muddy conditions (can you say "Eastern Front," boys and girls?). Don't paint the tires at all! Just paint the whole track run and suspension with the local earth color. Add a darker brown wash and dry brush with a lighter tan to bring out the detail. You can texture the mud with acrylic gel medium or Gunze Sangyo Mr. Surfacer, if you like.

I'm with Gerald, if it makes more sense to paint assembled wheels and bogeys on the model, I use thinned paints with the brush, and washes will get the nooks. Of course if its a dragon kit with seperate tires and you can assemble them after full painting then that's obvious to paint them seperately. Or same thing with the circle template trick and the ab, also comes in handy for spot touch ups if your brush painting is off a bit or have a whoops.

If they are base coated when painting the model and you paint the tires with thinned paint and do get some on the rim, typically you can wipe it right off or the faintest swipe with ultra fine sandpaper can also get a spot off the rim.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Low power & low speed minidrill, insert piece of straight sprue,
spin and file to slight cone which fits in axle-hole of wheel.
Find another bit of sprue which is thick enough and redo the
above until satisfied.
Mount wheel on cone, spin at low speed, use thumb of the hand
holding the minidrill (left hand if you use the right hand for holding
the brush) as brake-shoe to reduce speed if needed.
Adjust the wobble until it isn't irritating.
Hold paintbrush in the other hand with small amount of paint,
apply brush to the wheel/"rubber" starting from the running surface
and slowly move the brush inwards towards the edge of the rim.

Experiment with rpm and dilution of paint to get a combination
which works for You.
All 64 "circles" for the road wheels of a Pz IV takes about 10-15
minutes with a little practice.
If paint splatters all over the place or the wheel goes flying off
then the speed is way too high. Too much wobble and/or wheel
falling off is usually caused by a too steep cone, the coning
should be barely visible.
/ Robin

Robin-- I do a variation on your techniques by placing the road wheel on the drill them at low speed placing it against a nail paper file. Takes those darn casting marks out of the center of the wheel.
DJ
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:41 AM UTC
I paint on the tank as well. Spray the whole wheel black. Then spray the hub with the base colour. A wash around the outside of the rim brings back the tyre colour from any overspray and a light drybrush (with lighter base colour) of the hub rim and nuts brings up all the needed details. I dont worry about small misses as these all but dissapear after weathering. Quick and easy!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 04:13 PM UTC
I'm with Frank on this one ...I use tamiya's Nato black as my base color and then just airbrush the hubs starting at the sides and working my way towards the center ..any little mistakes get taken care of with a wash or the weathering .

Rick
 _GOTOTOP