_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
opinions on skif MT-LB kits
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi All

does any body have or has built the following kits:

Skif 213 - Artillery complex MT-LB tracked towing vehicle and 122mm D-30 Howitzer

or
skif 214 - MT-LB armoured personnel carrier

who can give me a opinion on these kits are they any good? do they include an interior? etc

cheers

Keith Forsyth
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC
I have built one out of the box. It went togheter rather well, and it has a general interior and some PE parts. I'm pretty sure it can be made into a very nice model with some TLC. The tracks were rubbish so I changed them with a pair of Friuls. About accuracy: I really can't say how accurate they are since I built one just to see how the Skif kits went together. I bought a bunch of different Skif kits on sale with the intension of turning them into shot up OIF wrecks, so I did not do much research outside googeling some pics for a paint job. It looks like a MT-LB to me though (and they were very cheap)

Erik

Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 07:38 AM UTC
They are barely okay. Arty complex is just standard MT-LB plus D-30 howitzer and some ammo crates. Mediocre molding quality and details. It has PE instrument panel for driver. Jurjen has done outstanding job improving his Strela-10 kit which is basically MT-LB with different mounting. You can refer here to get a sense of detail and fit for this kit.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi

A LOT of TLC will be needed to get them up to scratch BUT if you want something that looks like an MT-LB then this is it because I think the ARMO kits are OOP.

Be prepared to use etch, Fruil and lots of sprue.

Tom
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC
To build one that will look nice enough, if you do not want to do all the scratchbuilding involved in making a true gem, then do the following:

Get the Eduard PE set for it.

Get a set of aftermarket tracks (Fruil, Masterclub, or Miniarm)

Go from there. SKIF kits may be basic, but they tend to be a accurate base to build on...except for their T-55's of course. Some need a lot more TLC than others...
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi Keith,

I have been working on the Skif Strela which is based on the MT-LB. It is a good model to start from but really needs some AM on certain areas. Like the tracks and you may consider to replace the wheels as well.

I have a build-log on the Strela so I hope you will get a good impression of the kit.

Good Luck!

Jurjen

Build log
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Keith,

I have been working on the Skif Strela which is based on the MT-LB. It is a good model to start from but really needs some AM on certain areas. Like the tracks and you may consider to replace the wheels as well.

I have a build-log on the Strela so I hope you will get a good impression of the kit.

Good Luck!

Jurjen

Build log

Hi all

thakd for the information, i want to build one as an abandoned Iraq one, so it looks like i will need to put some extra time aside for this.

Jurjen all the extra work you have put in certainly makes it stand out, i look forward to seeing it finished

cheers

Keith Forsyth
 _GOTOTOP