_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
US-built tanks in Spanish Civil War?
SidGuttridge
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:59 PM UTC
I have recently bought the book "Mexico y la Guerra Civil Espanola" by Mario Ojeda Revah.

It records on p.173 that on 8 March 1937 the Nationalist cruiser "Canarias" captured the Republican blockade runner "Mar Cantabrico" en route from Veracruz in Mexico to the Republican enclave in northern Spain. According to an officer of the "Canarias", amongst the weaponry aboard were reportedly "20 tanques".

Does anyone know what type they were or what the Nationalists did with the captured tanks?

Many thanks,

Sid.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 08:49 PM UTC
Sid, if this was the case, then i'm pretty sure that they would be U.S. built (under licence) Renault FT-17s. I've seen pics of FT-17s during the Civil War and post-war (the latter, if my memory isn't playing tricks) during the 'Victory Exhibition/Parade' in Madrid.

However, there could be a simple translation error - many books of this type refer to ALL AFVs as 'Tanques' they could even be Armored Cars originating from Republican symapathisers in Mexico..

Sorry for not being more specific...
SidGuttridge
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

I may have set up a false trail here.

I have found an alternative list of the cargo of "Mar Cantabrico" from Republican sources in Mexico that is probably more accurate and makes no mention of tanks. It looks as though the Nationalist exaggerated the cargo for propaganda purposes, including 40+ tri-motor aircraft and tens of millions of dum-dum bullets, besides the probably mythical tanks.

Sorry for the red herring.

Cheers,

Sid.
Jimmie
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi Sid,

I've just checked through "Los Carros de Combate en Espana" by Javier de Mazarrasa (Editorial San Martin 1977), and found nothing about US tanks. Although the fact that it is in Spanish hindered my reading somewhat.

It is most unfortunate that the one bloke who could have been most use to you, John Baumann, died last year. I'm not sur who ended up with his Spanish Civil War files, but a note to Chris Lloyd-Staples (MAFVA Information Officer see contacts on the website) may get you some more help.

HTH

Paul Middleton
MAFVA Liaison Officer
SidGuttridge
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2007 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the lead.

Cheers,

Sid.
 _GOTOTOP