_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Vietnam
All things Vietnam
Hosted by Darren Baker
What happened to the Vietnam Centurions?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
I was wondering, in light of the AFV Club kits of these tanks being built-what happened to the actual tanks? Did any survive, and if so do any exist today, in museums or whatever? (Of course, I wonder how any museum could display a tank with the name "PUSSY EATER" on it, and if the Asian creators of the model knew what the term meant?)
asobehart
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC
I know that there are serveral in Australia. I believe that the Australian War Memorial was one. You can see some picrtures here:

http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Research/AWM02/AWM02.htm

Actually, there is a lot of good information on the site if you look else where within its other pages. They have pictures and write ups about the history as well as other tanks that are still around.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hi Tom
You should find the answers (and more !) on Col Filtness' website :
http://www.centurion-mbt.com

HTH
Frenchy
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 03:41 PM UTC
Thank you so much!
aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 04:49 PM UTC
i think the tank museum in pukapunial victoria is making them again!! heheheeh i counted about 10 there! cheeers!
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 05:46 PM UTC
A lot are still in Australia. They were kept in reserve long term storage until the early 90's when they sold off to collectors. The RAAC museum has a few as does the Australian War memorial in Canberra. A number of restored examples are with private collectors in Australia and New Zealand. Some even operate as tourist and corporate attractions where you can pay to drive one (not the easiest thing).
An interesting aside is that a qty were sent to the USA where they are used as movie props and if you look carefully at the Meg Ryan movie Courage under fire you will see the M1 tanks are actually mocked up Centurions of Australian Origin!
Cheers
Al
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:17 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

There is only photo for Pussy Eater I found was in the military briefs No3 by Shane Lovel
I can recomend it is one book worth getting if you are going to do a Centurian .
Mouse house is a small Australian company who do the decals for Pussy EATER and a few other vehicles listed in the book

I also did my cent on "Pussy Eater" and this book had all the references I needed.

There is some brief colour examples near the middle of the book when it was in operations in Vietnam
I would presume the name was made from one of the tank crew who had a reputation and wanted to share with everyone !!
I ended up with something like this

more photos here
http://missing-lynx.com/gallery/modern/centurion5mw_1.html.

Cheers
Michael

Smokeyr67
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2007 - 06:12 AM UTC
G'Day Tom,

Apparently theres going to be a number (20 +) of them coming on to the market in the $30,000 Aud price range very soon (Unfortunately with the barrels pre spiked). I'm tempted to get one and use it as a "rivet counter revenge tool" at the appropriate times....

Smokey
shaun68
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'Day Tom,

Apparently theres going to be a number (20 +) of them coming on to the market in the $30,000 Aud price range very soon (Unfortunately with the barrels pre spiked). I'm tempted to get one and use it as a "rivet counter revenge tool" at the appropriate times....

Smokey

WooHoo. I like the sound of that one. Great opportunity then to grab another to do as a Pucka 1AR vehicle with the mud camo
 _GOTOTOP